Keith's Reviews > Matter

Matter by Iain M. Banks

Apr 15, 08

Recommended for: Any science fiction fan
Read in April, 2008

Like many others I am a very big fan of the 'Culture' books by Iain M Banks and eagerly anticipated. While I was not disappointed I felt that it could have been better. The overall plot was strong and the final third moved at a very fast pace with many technological implications and consequences well described but not over explained. The moral dilemma at the heart of the 'Culture' - how much to interfere - was explored and added to the depth of the book. Much of the start set in the non-Culture society was slow and was not necessary for the plot or much of the material that came later. So, my advice, hang in there during the opening scenes, particularly those that seem straight out of a fantasy novel as it is very much worth it!
For those that are new to 'Culture' the book Matter should still be enjoyable but some of the depths and implications will not be as clear, so I would recommend reading other culture novels such as 'Player of Games', 'Use of Weapons’ or ‘Excession’ to provide background. In addition they are, in my opinion, tighter books.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Matter.