Liza Gilbert's Reviews > The Gun Seller

2035961
Aug 25, 11

bookshelves: adult-fiction, excellent-narrative-voice
Read in August, 2011

I have loved Hugh Laurie in many of his forms - Bertie Wooster, his roles in Black Adder, Laurie in A Bit of Fry and Laurie (obviously), House, and, of course, his fabulous and wordless role in Annie Lennox's video for "Walking on Broken Glass." As much as I have loved him on screen, I loved him just as much, or possibly even more, as an author of satirical fiction.

The first few pages of any book, fiction or non-fiction, are essential to the readers' probability of continuing with the book. Laurie's beginning to The Gun Seller was brillaint, memorable, and definitely had me hooked. The fantastic narrative voice continued through the entire work, and made me want to consume the book as quickly as possible.

I would also say that millions of books by millions of authors have chapters that start with a quote from someone else, a snippet of poetry, or a line from a song. Laurie did the same, but masterfully chose his quotes to not only work with the coming chapter but also be pithy, insightful, and completely unexpected. Who knew that a quote from Frog & Toad would be perfectly placed in a farcical novel about terrorism and gun running? Hugh Laurie did.

One can only hope that either Mr. Laurie will retire from film and tv, which would be a great loss, to return to writing fiction, or that he find a way to clone himself and do both.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Gun Seller.