Kat Kennedy's Reviews > Saving Francesca

Saving Francesca by Melina Marchetta

There is this cute, bouncing red tomato bopping around GoodReads singing the praises of Melina Marchetta.

I'll admit that I ignored the Tomato because my therapist said that it wasn't normal for fruit to recommend books to people. I accepted this advice because I'd already read Marchetta's Looking for Alibrandi and I hadn't enjoyed it.

I couldn't understand people's fascination with it, actually. Nobody in my class at school liked Looking for Alibrandi and I thought for awhile that maybe it was because we actually went to an Australian high school and nobody wanted to read a book pretty much depicting their own existence.

Which is what Marchetta does because I went to school with pretty much every high school character she's ever written. Also - The Butcher's paper? Yes, I can totally relate with my own hatred of Butcher's paper.

The point I'm trying to make is that, this tomato? You should totally, totally always listen to this tomato. The tomato is right. You are wrong. All hail the tomato.

Okay - onto my review.

Never before have I wished I could give a book more than five stars. I'd give this book seventy BAZILLION stars if it would just be my friend.

Francesca rocked my world. She had me at Butcher's paper. She won me over completely. I loved this book, I loved the story, I loved the characters.

If you haven't read this, not that that's a problem because I feel like the last person in the world to jump on the Marchetta bandwagon, then please do.

I cried while reading this book. I can't believe I actually cried like... real tears (as opposed to the FAKE kind!)

So overall, I highly recommend.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Saving Francesca.

09/07/2011 page 140
58.0% "This book is amazing!" 1 comment

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Tatiana Is it finally happening? Your first Marchetta book?

Kat Kennedy Yes, library copy finally came in! I've read Looking for Alibrandi but I'm trying not to go into Saving Francesca With preconceived notions.

Joyzi I like this one. This one is a light and easy read.

Kat Kennedy Shhhhh! Don't tell her! She'll get a big head and fall off her vine!

message 5: by Amanda (new) - added it

Amanda Croley Her Jelicoe Road book is really good too!

Tatiana I am pretty sure if you give Looking for Alibrandi another go you'll like it. It might be the age thing.

Mariel I didn't go nuts for Alibrandi either.

message 8: by Giselle (new) - added it

Giselle Sold!

Kat Kennedy Giselle - I think you'll love it. If not - fear the mighty Tomato.

Mariel - Yeah, I guess I'll give it another go. My issue was with the romantic interest. I knew boys - almost carbon copies of him, so I could never find him romantic. There were other problems I had with it, I couldn't understand her issue with being Italian but that's because wogs had long ceased to be picked on when I got to school.

Tatiana - yes, ma'am. I'll give it another go.

Watermelon Daisy You simply MUST read The Piper's Son.
It's the sequel to the book, and personally, I found it better than the first.
The Piper's Son
:D
Remy xx

Ambar I read this book because of your review and I absolutely loved it!!! Thanks for your excellent and outspoken review I love reading them and they always help a bunch.

Ronyell Great review Kat!! I really enjoyed this book too!

Kristen Thank you for having this as one of your favorite books. I wouldnt have read it otherwise and definately would have missed out.

Catherine White This book made me cry too. I really cared for Francesca. Her depression was so realistic it gave me chills.