Marialyce's Reviews > The Imperfectionists

The Imperfectionists by Tom Rachman

Sep 20, 11

bookshelves: august-2011-books, 2011-group-reads, sept-2011
Read from August 25 to September 03, 2011

It was a bit hard for me initially to get into this story but eventually I was able to enjoy the various characters that were together in the newspaper world that Rachman created. This was the author's first book, and he did a fine job writing of an Italian newspaper that is having a hard time staying afloat.

The book follows some quirky people who work for the paper from the guy who writes obituaries to a crazy war correspondent, who you just had to love he was so manipulative, to the weird publisher who has more love for his dog than he does for his newspaper. The book follows the inner lives of this group of zanies in way the are often humorous yet sometimes sad. While news items are many, the staff is pretty much hung up on their own insecurities which often result in confrontational results among the characters.

It was a quick read and as the reader got to know the characters, one looked forward to their stories. The ending is not surprising, but it does leave one a bit sad to see what and where these characters will go. I hope to read more by this author and do hope he continues to write.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Imperfectionists.

09/03/2011 page 165
61.0% "I really like this book."