Simon's Reviews > Full Black

Full Black by Brad Thor

Aug 26, 11

Read from August 25 to 26, 2011

I believe Full Black by Brad Thor is officially one of the fastest book I've completed. At about 400 pages, I finished it in about three nights of heavy reading. Surprisingly, Full Black is the tenth book in the Scot Harvath series and if intense action is your genre, you'll do yourself a good favor by looking into this series. Prior to this, I invested a lot, and I mean a whole lot, of time reading the Mitch Rapp series. The Scot Harvath character is very similar to Mitch Rapp in that they are both super secret agents sent out to battle terrorism and help defend the United States. While Full Black is another book about hunting down Muslim terrorist set out to cripple the United States, reading these sort of books doesn't bore me because what makes these books most interesting is how strikingly real the depicted situation can be.

As with many of these counter-terrorism thrillers, you're going to get big a dosage of secret agents, mention of the FBI and CIA, insider betrayals, raids, killings, weapon usages, interrogation and pretty much just a whole lot of ass-kicking. Full Black I don't believe sets any new standards by any means but like I've mentioned in the beginning, these books are awesome to read because you get to ask yourself the big ol' question of "What if?" This is the driving factor in making or breaking a book of this sort.

Since Full Black is my first introduction to the Scot Harvath series, I was afraid I wouldn't be up-to-date with the whole back story of the main character. However, the author does a very good job of bringing new readers like me into the loop. With books like these, you can't have a secret black ops agent who play by the rules. Technically you could but it wouldn't be very fun to read. You need someone who is willing to take the fight to the bad guys, use any means necessary to get the information they need to save lives and one that is quick thinking and witty to deal with anything that gets thrown their way. Scot Harvath is this person.

What makes Full Black so exciting is the frightening and realistic situation of what could happen when someone has too much money, power and time on their hands. Money can't buy you happiness but can it buy you a whole new world order? I don't want to reveal the storyline too much for fear of spoiling it but I can assure you that you will definitely think about the United States in its current state right now and wonder if something like within Full Black can happen one day. It's a bit far fetched but it's definitely within the realm of possibility. The conversation/interview between James Standing and the journalist was brilliant and haunting at the same time. It really makes you reflect on the current affair of the United States. Full Black is just so addicting and it's due mainly to the pace the author sets. Once the action gets going, it rarely lets up and you'll find yourself reading one chapter after another until you realize it's past your bedtime!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Full Black.