Cathy 's Reviews > Basilisk

Basilisk by Rob Thurman

Aug 27, 11

bookshelves: science-fiction, twitter-author, fiction, read-in-2011
Read from August 24 to 28, 2011

Quite a ride. Everything that I kept thinking all along, "Yeah, but what about..." was totally addressed in the end to my complete satisfaction. I can't say too much without spoiling things, but she does a great job of doling out the story and making it all make sense in the end. But as usual, it was the wry humor and heartfelt emotion that was the best past of the book. Rob's a master of sarcasm without meanness, always making me feel in on the joke. And I'm not sure what makes her write so many books about the deep love between brothers (or a sister with her Trickster books) but she does it very powerfully.

I have to say that reading this was really poignant. I had already gotten the book and had it ready to read next when I saw on Twitter that Rob had been in a very bad car accident and was still in ICU after a week. I know that reading and enjoying the book is the best thing I can do to honor her, and I'm continuing to pray for her complete recovery. I hope that by the time you read this review she's fully recovered. You can see updates about her progress on her website. I know prayers and good wishes would be greatly appreciated. http://robthurman.net/blog/

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Basilisk.

08/25/2011 page 67
19.0% "Misha's puzzlement over lolcats is very funny."
08/27/2011 page 273
78.0% "The basic theme of truly heartfelt brotherly love is the foundation for the story, the family you choose. And confirm that choice at every crisis by being where you are needed doings whatever is needed to make sure everyone survives. Family is more than by blood, it's because of shared experience and trust and shared sacred."
08/27/2011 page 274
78.0% "It's really about being human. Getting it, staying it and what would be worth risking it for."