Chris's Reviews > Good Poems for Hard Times

Good Poems for Hard Times by Garrison Keillor

Feb 07, 12

Read in May, 2011

There were a few really great poems in here, but a lot of it was pretty insipid. Most of the poems didn't even seem to have a point at all. Bland. This edition is called Good Poems for Hard Times, but the title apparently had nothing to do with the poems. There was no unifying theme to them. Even the chapter headings weren't consistent with their content. It was truly a hodgepodge of mediocre poetry. Pathetic.

This book is a follow-up to another book that apparently was a huge success: Good Poems. Apparently these are all poems that Garrison Keillor had, or would have, read out loud on his radio program. For the life of me I can't imagine why some of these poems would have been read out loud on the radio...or read at all or that matter. I was hoping this collection of poems would have helped introduce me to some modern poets, and maybe it did, but, aside from a few extraordinary selections, it certainly wasn't the best poetry I've ever read. Too bad. I had high hopes.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Good Poems for Hard Times.