Laura Wise's Reviews > Scarlet

Scarlet by Stephen R. Lawhead

Aug 24, 11

** spoiler alert ** Will Scarlet has always been my favorite character in the Robin Hood legend, and this version of the tale is no different. The voice of the character is incredibly well done -- Will has a very wry sense of humor that made me laugh aloud in places. Considering that he spends most of the book in prison waiting to be executed, I guess you could call this "gallows humor." He also uses his humor as a shield, however, from his fear and anger about what's happening to him and the oppressed people of the British Isles. While the story in "Scarlet" is very good as well, the character of Will Scarlet is what really makes the book stand out. Though illiterate, Will speaks English, Welsh, and French, and is clever and cunning enough to rival King Raven. It's his brains that save him from the noose in the end -- and that also save the throne of England. There's also a very sweet romantic subplot, wrapped up with a rousing adventure tale, a fight for freedom, and a good dose of history. I loved it and I highly recommend it to anyone who wants a good read.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Scarlet.