jenjn79's Reviews > A Breath Away

A Breath Away by Rita Herron

May 30, 09

bookshelves: author-rita-herron, 2009, info-full, reviewed, genre-romance-suspense, published-2005, stars-4
Recommended to jenjn79 by: favorite author
Read in May, 2009

Good book, but at the same time there was one issue that irritated and distracted me more than just a little at time. Still a good romantic suspense book, though. Herron knows how to tell a story that's got a solid suspense aspect without neglecting the romance. I've been a fan of hers since I started reading her Harlequin Intrigue books.

In A Breath Away, Violet Baker has been haunted for years by the murder of her best friend when they were children. She and Darlene had had a special connection and Violet had lived her friend's terror with her. Then her father sent her away with her grandmother and Violet thought it was because he felt she was evil with her weird connection to Darlene. She never spoke or saw her father again and she's lived with what happened since that day.

Now the visions and voices are starting again, but this time, young women are dying. Then comes a call saying her father had committed suicide and left a note saying he'd killed young Darlene. Violet doesn't believe it so she finally returns to her hometown...where Darlene's brother is now Sheriff. Grady has spent his life trying to find his sister's killer. Now he finally may know...only the facts aren't adding up. And women are dying in a way that appears to connect them to his sister. He and Violet must team up to find the truth. A task made all that much harder by the attraction that simmers between them.

This book had an interesting storyline, but it was kinda hard to get into. For the simple fact that the basic premise is almost exactly the same as Nora Roberts' Carolina Moon. They have pretty much the exact same setup...two opposite side of the tracks girlhood friends, one having psychic visions of the others violent death then leaving town after, returning years later to face what happened and maybe find the truth, and getting involved with her dead friend's older brother. Except for some minor variances, that's the way both books are setup (Roberts book was written 5 years before this one). And I found it extremely distracting when trying to get into this book. I just kept thinking about how similar they were. It was annoying. But at least the way the plot plays out and the reason behind things was very different.

Despite the irritating similarity issue, Herron does weave a complicated, engaging suspense and a fairly good romance. She keeps you on your toes trying to figure out who is doing what and why. There's no one obvious suspect and the way the clues are laid out, everyone seems guilty. Which makes it interesting in trying to piece together what is going on. And towards the end, I just wanted to keep reading to see how it was all going to play out.

I did wish there were maybe a few less characters. I read this over maybe 3 days and I didn't always remember who was who and their connections and whatnot. It made the story a little over-busy to a certain extent. If I'd read it in a less amount of time, it probably wouldn't have bothered me. But reading in bits in pieces, it was hard to keep everyone straight.

As for the romance...it was about moderately. I liked both the characters and there was good chemistry between them. But it was a little slow in building for me and got side-lined some for the suspense aspect. It was still a pretty sweet romance, though, with a nice HEA.

All in all, this was a solid romantic suspense. If I hadn't read Roberts "Carolina Moon" previously, I probably would have enjoyed this one more cover to cover. But if you like a good romantic suspense, then I'd definitely recommend this book or any other by Herron. She tells a solid, engaging story.
6 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Breath Away.

05/28/2009 page 376
100.0% "Review will be posted tomorrow."

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

I really enjoyed this one, am looking forward to hearing what you have to say about it. :-)

message 2: by Auntee (new)

Auntee Sounds good, and I haven't read "Carolina Moon".:)

jenjn79 Just posted my review...

jenjn79 Auntee - you'd probably like Herron's books. Carolina Moon is a really solid romantic suspense as well...if I had to pick this one or Carolina Moon, I'd pick that latter. It's a bit more well-rounded and has a nice romance.

message 5: by Blackbook (new)

Blackbook Was Carolina Moon made into a movie?

jenjn79 Blackbook - yes, that was one of the ones done into a movie. Can't remember which year, though, or if I saw it. I wanna say it is one of the ones done recently...which if so, I haven't seen it yet.