Alexandria Nicole's Reviews > Shatter Me

Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi

Nov 30, 11

bookshelves: dystopian, favorites, fiction, paranormal, romance, ya
Read from November 24 to 25, 2011 — I own a copy

WOW. Really, just, WOW.

One of my top three favorite books of the year.

There was a lot of hype going around this book so it made me excited to read it, and worried that I wouldn't like it as much as I was hoping I would. Well, there was no need for me to worry. I loved it!

Juliette: I found a lot of things interesting about this book, but one of the biggest things I liked is that we don't know everything Juliette is capable of from the beginning. We know why she's locked up, and so does she, but there's more hidden underneath that she unleashes throughout the book.
A couple of times I thought Juliette's character was a little off, but it was only when she was so forward with Adam. They have huge sexual chemistry, and tension for that matter, and some of the things she said seemed to go against her reserved nature.

Writing: I think a lot of people are going to say this book isn't good because of the writing. There is a lot of repetition from Juliette when she feels strong emotions and I thought they were annoying at first, but I can to see it as her personality.
I do think that the sentences or phrases crossed out didn't need to be. They are a vital part of the story. A couple time I actually skipped over them and then realized I shouldn't and it messed up my reading.
Both of these just make the book awesome though because they fit.

Romance: The romance in this book is great. It's not a love triangle per se but there's elements of one. Although I don't doubt Juliette and her man, there's a voice in the back of my head wondering if she is just dying for attention from anyone. I think she's confused about the man that tries to bind her. Sometimes I think she's attracted to him too.

The World: I can't imagine how society would get this way. I was confused about how all of this could happen but they explain it a little better at the end.

Adam: One of my new favorite fictional boyfriends. Oh, yea. He's a Soldier, compassionate, and a family man. Seriously, my heart is swooning :]

Minor characters: I fell in love with some of the minor characters even more than I did Juliette! Kenjie is halarious and James is so adorable!

The End - spoiler free: My favorite part. There's no happily ever after here, but it's still satisfying. Thankfully, there will be another book. Juliette finds herself somewhere she didn't even know existed. She isn't completely sure how she feels about being there, and I think a lot of the next book is going to take place here. Well, ok, maybe I'm just hoping it will! It seems so gosh darn interesting there!!

Second book, you are toooooo farrrrr awayyyyyy :{

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shatter Me.

Quotes Alexandria Liked

Tahereh Mafi
“Someone picked up the sun and pinned it to the sky again, but every day it hangs a little lower than the day before. It's like a negligent parent who only knows one half of who you are. It never sees how its absence changes people. How different we are in the dark.”

Tahereh Mafi
“All I ever wanted was to reach out and touch another human being not just with my hands but with my heart.”

Tahereh Mafi
“I've been screaming for years and no one has ever heard me.”

Tahereh Mafi
“You're absolutely delicious when you're angry." "Too bad my taste is poisonous for your palate.”

Tahereh Mafi
“I study every quivering branch, every imposing soldier, every window I can count. My eyes are two professional pickpockets, stealing everything to store away in my mind.”

Tahereh Mafi
“Killing time isn't as difficult as it sounds.

I can shoot a hundred numbers through the chest and watch them bleed decimal points in the palm of my hand. I can rip the numbers off a clock and watch the hour hand tick tick tick its final tock just before I fall asleep. I can suffocate seconds just by holding my breath. I've been murdering minutes for hours and no one seems to mind.”

Tahereh Mafi
“He smiles a small smile. His lips twitch like he's trying not to laugh. His eyes soften as they study my own. "There's very little I wouldn't do for you.”