Emily's Reviews > Fever Pitch

Fever Pitch by Nick Hornby

Aug 24, 2011

liked it
Read from August 24 to September 01, 2011

I'm not much of a sports fan but I love someone who is and I love Nick Hornby so I thought I'd give this book about his love for soccer a try. It offered some really great insights into what being the fan of a team can do for a person. I feel like I understand something that honestly was a complete mystery to me before. That said, it is a detailed account of a soccer/football obsession so, while I am very grateful to have read it and learned a lot, it's not my favorite Hornby.
I like this bit a lot:
"When I am at Highbury on a big night, or, of course, Wembley on an even bigger afternoon, I feel as though I am at the centre of the whole world. When else does this happen in life? Maybe you've got a hot ticket for the first night of an Andrew Lloyd Webber show, but you know that the show is going to run years and years, so you'd actually have to tell people afterwards that you saw it before they did, which is kind of uncool and in any case completely ruins the effect. Or maybe you saw the Stones at Wembley,but then even something like that is repeated for night after night nowadays, and consequently doesn't have the same one-off impact of a football match. It's not news. . ."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fever Pitch.