Aubrey's Reviews > Moonlight on Linoleum: A Daughter's Memoir

Moonlight on Linoleum by Terry Helwig

Sep 10, 11

Recommended for: Those who liked "The Glass Castle" and other similar memoirs.
Read from September 07 to 10, 2011

I won this book on Goodreads; it is an ARC and comes out on October 4th. I entered in for it because I have a love for memoirs. I'm fascinated by others who lived such different lives, oftentimes more troubling and requiring them to grow up sooner. This book was very reminiscent of The Glass Castle. Granted, it was a different story but there was substance abuse, which they both had in common. Yet what they really had in common was that the author had to grow up quickly, had to take care of the family, but more importantly saw the good in the bad.

And boy oh boy did I think I lived in a lot of places. Terry's got me beat when every chapter is a new place. She has a great writing style too, where she was able to write in the mind of the age she was in. I felt like I was reading it from the perspective of her respective age at that time. That is good writing, to be able to adapt the writing to the age.

I'll admit, I almost gave it a five. I give things a five if I loved them because four is "really liked" and so I figure a five really represents "loved it." It was great writing but wasn't a page turner. I fell in love with the ending when it just came full circle and made you really absorb what you read but overall I really liked it. What a service she did for her mom, for herself, and her sisters.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Moonlight on Linoleum.