Taueret's Reviews > The Fall of Hyperion

The Fall of Hyperion by Dan Simmons

Sep 01, 11

bookshelves: audiobook, speculative-fiction, sci-fi
Read from August 24 to 29, 2011

LOVED this. Not as in love with Simmon's writing as some other reviewers but its' ok because it's such an amazing story. Seriously, how can you not love a long, juicy sci-fi saga starring the ghost (kind of) of John Keats, a scary monster, as well as a bunch of other well defined characters- in a future that is a bit like the evil twin of the future in Iain M Banks' Culture novels. or maybe like the love child of the Matrix and the Culture. Or something totally, to me, original. I just loved it. I really feel that Simmons has a more realistic perception of far future humans in space than any utopian vision could; we're talking ostentatious consumption, environmental vandalism, political scheming, xenophobia, and religious fanatacism all mixed together- with humans empowered by their AI servants/masters to spread their filth farther and wider than they ever could with more limited tech. Moved straight on from this into Endymion, which I am LOVING because, well, I wouldn't imagine the Catholic Church of the future being any less abusive and corrupt than the one of the last couple millenia. Also, no one does non-gratuitous toe-curling horror and disgustingness better than Simmons.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Fall of Hyperion.