Uwe Hook's Reviews > Three Stages of Amazement

Three Stages of Amazement by Carol Edgarian

M_50x66
Aug 24, 11

Read in August, 2011

A fascinating book about the intricate economies of the American marriage. It's a love story that begins after many years of marriage, something beautiful to behold. A bit too melodramatic for my taste, not realistic in its description of post-Lehman America. Still, a fascinating read while we all muddle through this Great Recession.
An imperfect book but my favorite read throughout my summer vacation. Three quotes stuck with me:

"There must be something heroic about getting through the day with a bit of grace." Doesn't life feel like that once in a while?

"There are no final happy endings, only "life, this crazy life, and if you didn't laugh it broke you. It broke you anyway, but it was better if you laughed." Very true.

About the simple, foolproof power of men and women to misunderstand each other. “Na, you can’t talk about ’em together,” somebody here says succinctly. “It’s like wolves and apples.” Truer words have never been spoken.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Three Stages of Amazement.