Jenn's Reviews > Flat-Out Love

Flat-Out Love by Jessica Park

Mar 13, 13

bookshelves: boardingschools-college, coping-death-illness-grief, twisty-plots
Read from December 12 to 13, 2011 — I own a copy

Julie is duped out of a place to live when she moves to Boston from Ohio to go to school. Her mom's old college roommate agrees to have her stay at her house with her family. The family is a bit off and Julie can't put her finger on it. She befriends the 13 year old daughter Celeste and 21 year old brother Matt. Eventually she becomes facebook friends with their brother Finn who just happens to never be around and is always traveling.

Julie meets some new friends who don't play a big role in the book. She also meets a cute guy at a local coffee house where she ends up studying at with Celeste from time to time. This book is more centered on Julie and the Watkins family, whom she lives with.

This book had me laughing and crying. I was up all night reading it to see if my prediction for the ending was right. You could possibly figure out the big twist with this book by chapter 3, or it may take you to the end of the book. There is definitely something fishy going on with the entire Watkins family and Julie is going to do her best to figure it out. Celeste is a quirky 13 year old in desperate need of help. Julie will do her best to try to "save" her and bring her in to the real world and out of her little safe place.

Julie, Matt, Celeste and Mrs. Watkins will be pushed to their breaking points before the end of the book and the family secret will be revealed. Julie also has to make a choice between three boys as she will discover new possibilities in to the dating world outside her one high school boyfriend who had a secret of his own. Of course Julie knew what the secret was but not necessarily did everyone else.

WHAT I LOVED ABOUT THIS BOOK:
I really loved Julie, Matt and Celeste. Matt was such a geeky nerd of a guy who was so dang smart ...maybe too smart for his own good but also was sweet in his own way. Of course, he used to be a different guy before the family secret. I loved his dorky tee-shirts, his banter with Julie and his "real" self which he let out from time to time behind his computer. Celeste...I loved her and her too smart self and all her quirkiness. She really comes around slowly through out the book. Julie is such a sweet person who has some hang ups of her own over her own father, but is determine to help the Watkins over come whatever is holding them all "hostage" that they won't share with her.
-----------------------------------------------------
I would actually consider reading this book again. It was well written although there were a few spelling errors. It's definitely a different read from the normal YA books I've read lately. I appreciate the way the author went with this book, something new and refreshing. I also appreciated the fact that the foul language was kept to a very minimal level.

I'm excited to for Matt's companion novel:Flat-Out Matt

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Flat-Out Love.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Karen Glad you liked this. I loved it too.

message 2: by Cyndi (new) - added it

Cyndi Jenn, this one is on my tbr list. I may have to move it up.

message 3: by Jenn (last edited Jul 10, 2012 08:08AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jenn Cyndi- I think you should. It's definitely not a story twist
I've encounter before. I thought it was brilliantly done. I definitely laughed a lot and cried a bit with this book. One thing is for sure, I was sucked in so much that I stayed up all night reading it to see if I had the ending right. :) I recommend it and I would totally read again.

message 4: by Christy (new) - added it

Christy this is on my list as well.

Jenn You should definitely read this one. I LOVED it. The twist was a good one.