Gail's Reviews > The Family Fang

The Family Fang by Kevin Wilson

Nov 26, 11

Read in October, 2011

I'm torn about this book — there's one part of me that loved the quirks and oddities of the Fang family (parents Caleb and Camille, son, Buster, and daughter, Annie, who are performance artists of the "Let's stage a scene in public and call it art" variety). But there's another part of me that wanted to love them more than I did. Love them in a way I could identify with them somehow (say, the way I did with Jonathan Tropper's Foxman family from his "This Is Where I Leave You"). In the end, the overwhelming sadness and bitterness of these characters, not to mention the way (spoiler alert!!!!) Charles and Camille choose their art over their children, was a real turn-off to me (and speaking of ends, this one comes as a bit of a stretch).

Overall, a good read but not one that kept me at night. Will be interesting to see how this does as a film adaptation...was just announced last week Nicole Kidman's production company has bought the rights. I don't see her as either Camille or Annie, so I'm already dissuaded from wanting to see it (but, if it does get filmed, the comparisons to Royal Tenebaums will be in full effect).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Family Fang.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Kerry It's the ending that made it go flat for me. I lived the overall concept but towards the end it seemed as the author did not know how he wanted to wrap it up and give the characters some type of closure which made it start to drag (spoiler- most probably knew they were alive) and then it seemed like a rush to finish.
I enjoyed it for the most part but not one I will keep around the shelf; I just wanted to like it more than i really did.

Purl Scout same here. it just seemed rushed and inauthentic.

Riya I couldn't stand the ending either; it left me feeling unsatisfied and a little sad.