Eric's Reviews > First Lord's Fury

First Lord's Fury by Jim Butcher

Aug 30, 11

bookshelves: fantasy, fiction, books-from-library
Read from August 21 to 28, 2011

I loved this series, and the final book is no exception. I’m sorry to see it come to an end. My first thought was that the series should continue, now that Tavi is the First Lord. Seemed to me like that was the beginning of a whole new series of adventures.

But then I thought about it some more, and realized this series could be considered a coming of age tale, not just for Tavi, but for all of Alera. At the beginning of the series, Tavi is a young man hampered by his lack of furycraft, and he grows into not only his furies, but also into his role as cursor, captain, and finally First Lord. He’s truly come of age.

Alera is in a similar position at the start, an old civilization but hampered by its feudal-like form of society and government, its use of slavery, and its hostility toward all other cultures different from its own. Tavi and other characters strive to make Alera realize that it too must come of age and outgrow these outdated notions if it wishes to not only prosper, but survive. The epilogue plants the seeds for that process to begin in earnest.

Seen from that point of view, it makes perfect sense for Butcher to end the series with this volume – even though I’d still love to read more tales from the world of Alera.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read First Lord's Fury.