Laura Leaney's Reviews > Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs

Sep 20, 11

Read from September 13 to 20, 2011

I was bored by this book - and disappointed. It doesn't even pass muster as a "young adult" book; quite frankly, I doubt I would have liked it even as a middle-schooler. The premise is interesting - a mystery built around a collection of old photographs owned by an eccentric grandfather whose stories of once living in a house full of peculiar children during WWII nobody quite believes. But the book's characters are cardboard-like and their emotions and motivations so simplistic that I can hardly credit that any self-respecting pre-teen would give it a thumb's up.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children.

09/16/2011 page 100
28.0% "Silly book. Must be a YA novel. Not there's anything wrong with that."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Nandakishore Varma Laura,

I really liked the premise but having seen your review, I don't think I'll read it.

Laura Leaney I'd feel terrible, but I've seen your book list - and it's stuffed full of terrific texts - so I don't feel all that bad about your choice to steer clear of this one. You could always do a "search inside this book" page on Amazon and see if you like the writing.

Nandakishore Varma I will do as you suggest. What attracted me to the book was I once had an idea of writing something eerily similar... of an abandoned house on a hillside, full of photos of children which are disturbing in some way (I exactly don't know how)... but the idea petered out there.

Laura Leaney I think the idea is fabulous! Maybe you should read the book anyway - just to see how Riggs handled the material.

Nandakishore Varma Thank you. Maybe I will.