readinghearts (Lyn M)'s Reviews > The Mill River Recluse

The Mill River Recluse by Darcie Chan

Sep 27, 11

bookshelves: 2011, books-i-own, contemporary, read-for-review, smashwords
Recommended to readinghearts (Lyn M) by: Sisterhood of the Traveling Book.
Recommended for: almost anyone
Read from September 21 to 27, 2011, read count: once

When I read the synopsis of this book I was expecting the normal, run of the mill contemporary fiction book. In fact, what Ms. Chan has given us in her first outing as an author is more than that. She has a wonderfully descriptive writing style that is easy to read. Her descriptions of living with Social Anxiety Disorder, everyday life in a small Vermont town, and the landscape of Vermont are spot on.

The characters in the book are wonderfully developed. Most of them are flawed in some way. As Mary (the main protagonist) likes to say, "no one is perfect". It is these imperfections that Ms. Chan gives her characters, even the most subsidiary ones, that make them endearing. From early on, I felt that I was catching up with old familiar friends.

The combination of her descriptive writing and the development of wonderful characters makes this book a delightful read. I enjoyed it quite a bit and really hope that Ms. Chan will write more novels.

The bad news is that currently the book is only available as an e-book on Smashwords, Amazon, and Barnes & Noble (not sure if it is other places as well). The good news is as such it is only .99, which is a real bargain for a book this good. I have no doubt as word gets around, though, that someone will want to publish it in print format.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Mill River Recluse.

Comments (showing 1-2)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

message 2: by Kate (new)

Kate Oh I am so disappointed that this is not found in paper/hardback format. Your review makes me want to rush out and buy it - this is my kind of book!!

readinghearts (Lyn M) I know, Kate. Sorry. It is getting a lot of buzz, though, so I would expect some publisher to pick it up before too long. It is REALLY popular.