babyhippoface's Reviews > Jim Henson: The Guy Who Played with Puppets

282057
Aug 24, 2011

bookshelves: historical, kids-non-fiction, kids-picture-books
Read in December, 2011

Know where Jim Henson got the name Kermit for his famous frog? From his childhood best friend. I learned that from this picture book.

This is a terrific introduction to the life of Jim Henson, creator of the Muppets. It begins with his childhood spent entertaining family and friends with his storytelling skills, moves to his teenage years working as a puppeteer on a television show, then his time studying art and home economics classes in college, and his professional career as Muppet-maker and the creative genius behind Sesame Street and the movies Labyrinth and The Dark Crystal. I'm not sure why they chose to use watercolor illustrations rather than photographs of the Muppets, but I'm glad they did. (Elementary biographies with photos always seem to become dated quickly, in my opionion, and just about everyone knows what the Muppets look like anyway.) These lovely paintings have a soft, misty quality that makes them seem timeless.

Elementary kids who need to do a biography report should grab this book, because it has enough detail to be helpful, but not so much they'll get bogged down. Every kid knows about Kermit and Sesame Street, so he's an interesting subject for students. I'd say it's just about the perfect elementary biography.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jim Henson.