Emily T.'s Reviews > Pimp: The Story of My Life

Aug 24, 11

bookshelves: the-arctic-explorer
Read in August, 2011

Introduction by Ice T.

After growing up in a world where the 60s and 70s were idealized by the artists in our parents generation, nothing in "Pimp: The Story of My Life" is particularly shocking. What is shocking is when you put it into perspective; Slim was doing all these things in the 30s and 40s. He had turned more whores then I am old by the time my father was born. He's talking about his allies, his good friends being strung out on herion far before the free love era of American history, before 1950s idealism and the revolution that followed.

Drugs and sex are presently few peoples dirty little secrets. More often they are worn like merit badges. Slim thrived in a true world of erotic taboo, and yet still had to say 'yes sir', 'no sir' and answer to 'boy' to save his neck. With the exception of the first chapter and the epilodge, the book is very well written. And as pious as Ice T is, if you can read his introduction he makes a few good points. That when you're living out of the back of your car, and you read that Slim can make it, why can't you? I, for one, have never lived in the back of my car. Nor have I had to deal with any hardship that comes close to Iceberg Slim's life. But I can appreciate the sentiment, and what it meant for those growing up in hardship in the 70s and 80s.

Anyway, that's this white girl's opinion. So take it for what it's worth.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pimp.