Hayden's Reviews > ridiculous/hilarious/terrible/cool: a year in an american high school

ridiculous/hilarious/terrible/cool by Elisha Cooper

92056
Apr 16, 08

bookshelves: teen, adult, african-american, urban, latino, fitting-in
Read in April, 2008

Sort of a book documentary--the author of this YA nonfiction book followed about half a dozen high school students around for a year. Each chapter is a month of the school year, interspersed with doodley drawings. You follow the teens as they dance, act, play soccer, apply to colleges, go to prom, etc.

I think teens are going to love this book, and it's also a good pick for adults who are wondering what the hell the kids are up to these days. The high school is a top magnet public school in Chicago, and most of the selected students probably have a more solid sense of identity than the average 17-year-old. Still, one of them is a small time drug dealer and another doesn't make it back after the Christmas holidays--the author doesn't choose just star students. But all of the kids are pretty loveable, even the drug dealer. Especially the drug dealer.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read ridiculous/hilarious/terrible/cool.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Abby (new)

Abby nice review Hayden! We just got this at NET a few days ago and the cover description intrigued me, but not enough to check it out. Your review definitely sold me on it though. Way to go. Now I can another book to my enormously long list. :)

Hayden Yay! I'm glad. I think you'll like it.