Jenre's Reviews > Bonds of Hate

2620867
Jun 22, 12

bookshelves: fantasy, m-m, romance
Read in June, 2012

This has been on the TBR pile for a little while and I fancied a fantasy so I decided to give it a read.

I'd be hard pushed to set down the plot in a few words but it tells of two half brothers, Anaxantis and Ehandar, who are sent by their king father on what seems like a fools errand to protect the Northern borders of the country. Anaxantis is weak and sickly and his brother takes full advantage of that. However, after brutal treatment by Ehander, Anaxantis vows revenge and is determined to turn the tables.

There are some very difficult themes in this book, incest for a start - although there's hints that they may not be true brothers - and a pretty horrible rape scene. However, as these events are needed for the story to progress, and also because incest doesn't bother me anyway, I could see why they were included. The book is thick with rich plotting, fully rounded characters, devious plotting and politics, and a hero who I both liked and disliked - he truly was a mix of anti-hero and true hero, and one of the best parts of the book was the conflicted personality of Anaxantis.

My only niggle was the excessive head-hopping which jarred me out of the narrative. However, that seemed to be the style that the author was aiming for with an omniscient narrator and so I went with it after a while.

The book is first of a trilogy and as such ends on a cliff hanger. I rushed off to buy the sequel and I'm looking forward to that.
4 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bonds of Hate.

message 1: by Lori K (new) - added it

Lori K I can't wait to read your review of this. I've been dragging my feet.

Jenre I shall try to get to it soon then :). I had it recommended and it looks and interesting read :).

message 3: by orannia (new)

orannia That is a mouthful of a title...

Jenre LOL, don't let that put you off Orannia. It's a good book. I plan to write a longer piece about it later in the week.

message 5: by orannia (new)

orannia When I see someone racing off for the second book, I know the first definitely deserves a look :) I look forward to your thoughts.

message 6: by Nicci (new)

Nicci "Running off for book 2" is the best recommendation ever. :-)

Jenre It ended on a cliff hanger and I need to know how it's all going to work out :).

message 8: by orannia (new)

orannia *hangs head* The dreaded cliff-hanger. To borrow a phrase from Chris, cliff-hangers leave me frothing in annoyance :)

I might have to wait to see if the second book has a cliff-hanger...

message 9: by Chris (new)

Chris LOL! A-ha, I found where you used the phrase. ;)