Catherine's Reviews > Must Love Lycans

Must Love Lycans by Michele Bardsley

It is so hard for me to review books like this. Humor is so, so subjective. I know that I would have loved this book if it had been my kind of humor. But, alas, it wasn’t. What should have made me giggle instead left me rolling my eyes or gritting my teeth. What makes it so hard for me to write this review is that some of the things that irritated me might have pleased me in a book that I found funnier. So, as you read this review keep in mind that this humor is either going to work for you, or it isn’t.

I liked the idea of an empath psychotherapist trying to treat a werewolf with amnesia—did I mention he’s naked? ;)—when she didn’t even know that werewolves existed. The humor of her trying to figure out why he didn’t feel like other humans, and her trying to cure his werewolf delusions, appealed to me. The beginning of the book worked for me. Damian was running mostly on animal instincts, although he did have a quirk where he would back off if called rude. I found it amusing to watch Kelsey try to rationalize Damian’s animalistic behavior, especially the sniffing. Her overwhelming attraction to him irritated me a little, as it felt like too much too soon, but I brushed it off since I was mostly enjoying the rest.

My enjoyment of book seemed to wane once Damian got his memory back and they left the clinic. It wasn’t his memory returning or the change of locale that caused it, they just happened to align with the biggest cause of my biggest discontent—the heroine. She wasn’t perfect in the beginning, but she didn’t irritate me much. But once she learned about werewolves and found herself in that world, I really didn’t like her. Her behavior grated and since this is written in first person I couldn’t escape how irritating I found her.

Kelsey goes from being shocked about the existence of werewolves to being sex crazed and eager to have babies, even though she doesn’t know Damian from Adam. He may have bit her and been suffering some territorial werewolf feelings as a result, but she didn’t have any such issue. She was actually the one hoping to be together in the long run and the one primarily talking about choosing each other as mates. I’m not saying he didn’t want the same, I just found it surprising that the human in the relationship was the one pushing for it. She needed absolutely no convincing about anything. She jumped into sex, being mates, and a grim future for herself (that I won’t discuss because of spoilers) with both feet , even though they barely knew each other. It just didn’t work for me.

The whininess was also an issue for me. I know she had a bad past—that I wish was treated more seriously since it had potential—but her crying and clinginess was a big turn off for me. Probably this would come off as more cute and funny than irritating for those enjoying the humor. And I got tired of the constant sex, sex, sex, sex. Seriously, if I had to read about how horny this girl was one more time, I would have had to stab myself in the eye. Every time I turned the page they were lusting for each other in a completely over the top manner or they were just flat out having sex. Lots of sex. I felt bored for the most part.

I found the storyline kind of scattered, but I didn’t have a problem following along until the end. I’m still kind of confused about how that all worked out for Kelsey. It didn’t make a lot of sense to me and felt a bit thrown together. So, obviously this was not my style. The humor reminded me a lot Angela Knight’s Mageverse series. I think if you enjoy that series then there is a fair chance that you’ll enjoy this one as well.

Before I end this review, I just want to take the time to mention something I was impressed with. I’ve read and enjoyed this author before, and that name recognition was actually what led me to get this book. I knew Must Love Lycans and Never Again would be very different reads, but I didn’t expect the author’s voice to be so different. I’m impressed that she was able to change her writing style so much. Not a lot of authors seem to be able to do that, so it always stands out when I run across one who can. Seriously, though, if I hadn’t seen the name, I never would have known they were written by the same person.

Favorite Quote:
Then to my utter shock, she disappeared in a shower of pink sparkles. It was like Mari had burst into glitter. I looked at Damian, but he didn't seem all that surprised. I wasn't sure I was all that surprised, either. I fully expected a unicorn to show up next. Yeah. A unicorn ridden by a leprechaun holding a kettle of gold. Or a box of Lucky Charms.

Review posted on Fiction Vixen.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Must Love Lycans.

08/24/2011 page 57
18.0% ""I really wish we could skip the 'convince you it's the truth' part of this process," said the lady. "Perhaps you could simply believe all that I'm telling you.""
08/25/2011 page 84
26.0% ""Then to my utter shock, she disappeared in a shower of pink sparkles. It was like Mari had burst into glitter. I looked at Damien, but he didn't seem all that surprised. I wasn't sure I was all that surprised, either. I fully expected a unicorn to show up next. Yeah. A unicorn ridden by a leprechaun holding a kettle of gold. Or a box of Lucky Charms."" 2 comments
08/26/2011 page 105
33.0% "

"All that noise sounded like dialogue from a bad erotica novel."

"You read a lot of those?" I asked.

"Every chance I get."

"You should try some of the good ones," I said.

"
08/26/2011 page 155
48.0% "I'm feeling kind of ho-hum about this so far. It's not bad, but it's not doing anything for me."
08/26/2011 page 182
57.0% "I know this is supposed to be a light, silly book (based on the cover) but I'm having a hard time accepting the lack of sense in the characters. The heroine, who didn't know about lycans, gets bitten and goes from shocked to OMG let's have sex constantly and make babies! for no reason. It's not coming off as cute, just dumb." 8 comments

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Juliana (last edited Aug 28, 2011 03:22PM) (new)

Juliana Love that you have a shelf called "sucked"

Catherine LOL. All my 2 star and below books go on it. I also have one called "boring." Sometimes a book will suck but will still have you turning the pages. And others just crawl along. The second kind go on the boring shelf.

message 3: by Juliana (new)

Juliana I think I might need some similarly-named shelves.

I was reflecting on this the other day, after realizing it seemed like I was writing much more (frequency-wise) negative reviews than in the past. I used to be very, VERY selective in which romances I read - read review after review before buying it. Now with NetGalley, FV, and just general GR friend-recs, I'm taking more "chances," but it's a double-sided coin: find some I love that I wouldn't have otherwise read, and some I really hate.

Used to never be able to DNF, but I'm now understanding (and fully appreciating) the sometimes-necessity of that!!

Varsha you know, i have read all the other books in the Broken Heart series up to this one, and i am really not enjoying this one! I fell in love with all the characters at Broken Heart, including the stoic Damian, but for some reason i am just not feeling it for this book. I normally would take any free time i had to read, but now i"m reading it out like a chore :( I also find Kelsey to be irritating. This book is not in keeping with the Broken Heart OK crowd. Disappointed. :(

Catherine Varsha wrote: "you know, i have read all the other books in the Broken Heart series up to this one, and i am really not enjoying this one! I fell in love with all the characters at Broken Heart, including the sto..."

I'm sorry to hear that you're not enjoying this one either, but I'm pleased to hear that it's possible that I'd enjoy the other books in the series more than I did this one.