Brandy's Reviews > The Water Wars

The Water Wars by Cameron Stracher

Aug 24, 11

bookshelves: 2011, dystopian-post-apocalyptic, library, speculative-fiction, teen, middle-grade
Read in August, 2011

The good news: I finished it! It's over!

The bad news: everything else.

Vera lives in a world without water: it rains very little, and humankind has wasted (and/or drunk up) all the fresh water. State boundaries have changed; the US is no longer 50 states but 8 territories. The Republic of Illinowa is struggling to get water, battling with the Republic of Minnesota, who in turn is warring with the Empire of Canada for the fresh water that remains.

Vera meets a new boy, Kai, who can somehow sniff out fresh water. (It's somehow implied that it's related to his diabetes, but that makes no sense. Except that's the implication, so.) Then he gets kidnapped, and even though she's known him for about a week, she insists that she and her brother launch a rescue mission. Which they do, and get themselves kidnapped by water pirates before ultimately needing to infiltrate the large-scale, only-for-profit desalination plant (that horribly pollutes everything and is only in it for the money).

Lots of things don't make sense. Lots of (il)logical leaps. Lots of infodumps. And really, incredibly boring. There was nothing to encourage me to pick this up again, so I'm not certain why I finished it, because blah. Flat characters and a bland, boring plot.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Water Wars.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mary (new)

Mary Jane Lmao!!! Yo review was just sooo funny!?