Jessica at Book Sake's Reviews > Annexed

Annexed by Rebecca McKinnon

Aug 24, 11

At first this story confused me, because the author takes very little time to jump into the main story, and I felt like I was running behind trying to catch up. Once I did though, it was a really interesting take on science fiction, alternate reality, and society. I didn’t feel that the undertones pertaining to society were politically or religiously motivated which allowed me to draw my own feelings about the authors words, and I appreciated that immensely. Narissa is a great character that deals with an internal struggle that has you up and down with her on the emotional roller coaster, and since I know this is a series I am looking forward to seeing what she does next. It was great to see her be so intelligent as well as loyal, even when she didn’t have a leg to stand on in some cases. The other players are really great additions to her story, and I didn’t feel that people were written in to have specific roles of sidekick, or love-interest, they developed into those relationships with time throughout the story, just as they would in “real” life. There were several poignant statements made in this novel, and I enjoyed the fact that the author wasn’t afraid to go there, and at the same time didn’t take it over the top and shove opinions in the reader’s face. My only dislike is that I don’t know when the next installment is coming out, and I am eager to see where the story goes!

Reviewed by Gabi for Book Sake.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Annexed.