Christine's Reviews > A Great and Terrible Beauty

A Great and Terrible Beauty by Libba Bray

Nov 04, 2011

bookshelves: books-for-autumn, historical, magical-realism, merrie-old-england, witchery, ya, library-acquisitions, otherworldly
Read in October, 2011

Things I liked:
Felicity, Gemma (sometimes), Ann (sometimes), Pippa (eventually), the school/setting, the gypsies, the writing, the anachronistic attitudes of the girls (they were pretty modern Victorians, but that's good), the girls being jerks.

Things I didn't like:
The YA "special destiny" thing, the secrets (I hate it when a plot hinges on people being secretive for no apparent reason or just bad communicators - why not be CLEAR?).

Things I scratched my head about:
India - seems like it would be a big adjustment to live your whole life in India and suddenly find yourself in the English countryside, but other than the prologue, it never comes up. Weird.
The reveal - it was confusing, or maybe that's just me. I think we were being set up to think it would be one person and then in the end it was another person (which, in some ways is the most obvious person) but something about the way it unfolded confused me and required me to go back and re-read earlier bits. Maybe it was just me and the fact that I had to read this in in little chunks on the bus rather than all in one long sitting. Anyway.

I will definitely read the next in the series, have already ordered it for the library actually, but as it is set at Christmastime I will wait to process it in December.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Great and Terrible Beauty.