Destinee Sutton's Reviews > Okay for Now

Okay for Now by Gary D. Schmidt

Sep 12, 11

bookshelves: audio, historical-fiction, middle-grade, school, tween, guy-reads
Read from August 24 to September 12, 2011

I liked this better than Wednesday Wars. So many good things! I shall list them for you:

1. You know how it feels when an author doesn't spell things out too much and lets the reader come to her own conclusions? Terrific.

2. You know how much I like it when a writer finds really punchy phrases and uses them over and over again? It's like poetry.

3. Am I a chump for loving it despite the fact that it wasn't exactly completely realistic? Am I?

4. Sometimes everyday life books like this can get boring, but Mr. Fancy Writer Schmidt injected suspense by not giving everything away right away. For example, there was no way I was going to get out of the car until I'd heard what 216 meant.

5. The audiobook narration was awesome. I could really hear the narrator smiling, choking up, getting angry. He read a little slow for my taste, but he made up for it.

The only thing I don't like about this book is the cover. The cover is really terrible. I'm not lying. Please, please let it have a better cover in paperback!
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Okay for Now.