Literary Cravings's Reviews > Epic Fail

Epic Fail by Claire LaZebnik

Aug 24, 11

*Check out more book reviews & book related things at Literary Cravings*

First Impression

A modern remake to the classic Jane Austen Pride and Prejudice. Now I had to read this to see how Ms. LaZebnik handled bringing one of my favorite stories by Jane Austen into the 21 century. Would I like the changes and similarities? Yea curiosity got me to read this.

What Worked

The story of Elise and her sisters was so engaging I couldn’t put it down; watching how they navigated their new lives changed and evolved in sunny star studded California.

Things happened in a constant steady pace capturing and holding my attention through the whole story. There wasn’t a point where I was bored or skimmed the pages.

Even though this was a remake to Jane Austen’s Pride & Prejudice so most to the mysteries gone out the window. Ms. LaZebnik found a way to modernize and create some mystery behind what would happen in the new world the Benton sisters find themselves in.

I really enjoyed the characters. Each of them had their own unique personalities and it was interesting how they played off each other.

Now the romance between Elise, Derek, Juliana and Chase had innocent sparks but was entertaining none the less. Though their relationship wasn’t hot and heavy I liked reading how their relationships evolved which totally made up for the lack of hot and heaviness.

Characters

Elise: Love her strong personality. She was always there for her family and though she was wrong in her judgments she stepped up and admitted that she was wrong.

Derek: I enjoyed his brooding loner vibe and getting to know his real story and watch him open up to Elise.

Juliana: She had such a nice personality always looking at the best in people. She was a great balance to her sister Elise personality.

Chase: Such a nice boy and he stepped up when the time called for it.

Layla: OMG that girl annoyed me so much!

Chelsea: Had the annoying popular mean girl role down since the first time she entered the story. She brought the drama and the eyerolls.

Overall

Epic Fail was ultimate an epic win for me. Ms. LaZebnik did a wonderfully job taking the classic and recreating it and making the story her own while staying true to the classic. I had a great time reading about the adventures of the Benton sisters and look forward to more from Ms. LaZebnik. Readers so defiantly pick up a copy!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Epic Fail.