Wendy Darling's Reviews > Postmortem

Postmortem by Patricia Cornwell

Feb 04, 2016

it was ok
bookshelves: adult, thriller-suspense, read-2011, annoying-main-characters, readalong, underwhelmed
Read from September 28 to October 31, 2011

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Postmortem.

09/28/2011 page 38
11.0% "Uhhh...did she really just give this 10-year-old a glass of wine?" 8 comments
09/30/2011 page 139
41.0% "So Bill is kind of a jerk."
10/11/2011 page 193
57.0% "Disaappointed that the mysterious sparkles on all the dead bodies is not, in fact, Hard Candy glitter." 2 comments
show 1 hidden update…

Wendy Darling Yep. Didn't you think it was odd? She then goes onto a rant about "prisoners with their obscene tattoos and histories of sodomizing anything on two legs inside cell blocks."

message 52: by Flannery (last edited Oct 11, 2011 12:43AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Flannery Ohhhh, lol I remember that part. I read it and knew you'd have the same reaction as me. I was like WHOA STEREOTYPE ALERT! Also, something about gay guys murdering their lovers?

message 53: by Maja (The Nocturnal Library) (last edited Oct 11, 2011 12:46AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) Hmm. I forgot about that. It's weird because in her later books she is very dedicated to gay rights and besides, Patricia Cornwell has a wife.

A real spoiler, but nothing big.
(view spoiler)

Wendy Darling Yeah, those murderous gays. :/

I knew that about Cornwell, actually, which is partly why it surprised me. I think her writing is just very clumsy here in this first book, at least so far.

Flannery I feel like it isn't intentional all the time, just a reflection of what was a bit more acceptable to say at the time it was written.

PC is a lesbian? Who knew?

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) I think maybe she did it intentionally to show:
1. How an educated person can still think like she was raised to.
2. How you change your views once someone you love is discriminated against.

Flann could be right too. Very different times.

Wendy Darling 76% Marino is getting better, though it's like a whole new person was slotted in rather than us getting to know him better.

The interrogation of Abby scene drove me crazy. All the exclamation points, jeez!

*********************************************************************

"Dear God! I can't believe it! She knew! I told her not to leave her windows unlocked! To be careful!"

"But no way. No way! And now this! She's gone! Oh, God! And all these things I'm supposed to tell you about her, about her habits and everything, it doesn't matter!"

"None of it matters because I know it wasn't her he was after! He didn't even know about her! He was after me!"

"No!" she blurted out. "Jeff didn't do this to her! They both wanted a trial separation! There wasn't any animosity between them! The pig who did this is the same pig who's been doing it!"

Abby screamed, "He's scum! He's probably done it a thousand times and gotten away with it! He threatened me, told me if I mentioned a word he'd make me out to be a slut, he'd ruin me!"

"No! I've had nothing to do with the bastard! If I got within ten feet of him I'd be afraid I'd blow his goddam head off! None of my information has come from him!"

And then from Kay herself, "No! I've told you every goddam thing I know about him! Every goddam thing I'm going to tell you! PERIOD!"

*********************************************************************

Also, did BB rape Kay? It's unclear. I knew he was a jerk, too. And I agree that Dr. Kay is impeding the investigation by not saying anything.

Flannery I think we are supposed to see the earlier discussion of his violent tendencies as confirmation. If he hadn't, I doubt she wouldve had Kay get so angry at Marino...

Wendy Darling Hey, do you mind if we put this on hold for a week since you've slotted Native Star in? I have Dearly Departed that I want to finish, plus I just got something I'm super excited about. I'm game to jump back into this one a little later.

Flannery You caught me at the perfect moment. I was just about to go finish it. (literally, just picked up my Kindle) Sure:) Just let me know--I leave for a trip on Tuesday so there will be many hours of travel...

What is the "something" that you're super excited about?!

Wendy Darling Cool, thanks! I'll message you to see what works for you when I'm juggling a few less books. So funny, I didn't realize Native Star was steampunk too, so it'll be interesting to read two such novels one right after the other.

The "something" is...Drink Deep! :D