Kate's Reviews > Black Juice

Black Juice by Margo Lanagan

Sep 08, 11

bookshelves: 2011, age-ya, fantasy
Read from August 30 to September 08, 2011

I picked this up after reading an article about YA literature that would appeal to adults. The article had a list of the top ten YA authors for adults, and Margo Lanagan was listed - and the only author I hadn't read. When the blurb about her books mentioned something about a clown massacre in Black Juice, I immediately put it on hold at the library.

The first story in this collection, "Singing My Sister Down," was awesome, and basically the only reason I gave this book three stars. The story was about a tribe's very unique way of applying capital punishment, and I could not put it down. I had such high hopes for the collection after that one story that all the others felt like a letdown... even the clown massacre story.

My major issue with the stories was that each story took place in such a fantastically different world than our own that I could barely comprehend each world before the story was over. Most of the stories had the feel of Shirley Jackson's "The Lottery," but never delivered on the final horrific twist. Maybe because I was expecting horrific twists, I couldn't appreciate the quiet nature of most of these stories. Maybe because I was looking forward to a clown massacre and even that story was so strange and confusing I didn't like it.

I might pick up another book by this author if it was a full-length novel and not short stories.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Black Juice.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ben (new)

Ben Charette I thought the exact same thing: Singing My Sister Down was great, but the rest just made me feel like I should be reading something else. To be honest, I didn't finish it, which is rare for me.