kb's Reviews > Destroy All Cars

Destroy All Cars by Blake Nelson

Aug 24, 2011

Read from August 24 to 27, 2011

This did not only destroy me. It killed me. Right off the bat. Perhaps it was because I am in the same lane as James Hoff, the 17-year-old anti-Consumerist American who wanted to change the world by first eliminating the cars off the road but his own consumerist desires were getting in the way. You'd think something so serious and socially and economically attached wouldn't work in a YA novel, but Blake Nelson did it, and did it successfully so. The story had the usual YA issues like girl problems, parental factors and school-related dilemmas, but they were used effectively to shift to a much faster/higher gear. I admit, though, that there was a time I saw a kind of a dead-end and almost stopped for awhile but thank goodness, it was actually a blind curve and Nelson was able to put in a Character and a Situation to reestablish the rocky, exciting road. The way it was written was also perfect, such as the use of James's essay which exhibited his reflections and which also saved a lot of space and time for dialogues. I really loved this novel and wish there were more of this.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Destroy All Cars.