Ayu Puspita Sari's Reviews > The Pet Promise

The Pet Promise by Kate Steele

Aug 24, 11

bookshelves: adult, fantasy, fiction, glbt-lit, romance
Read in August, 2011

Well, I was quite expecting a good story from this. I mean, the magician turned a man into a dog because said man has killed his pet, hence he must served the mage as a dog to paid for his mistake, and after a year, the man realized that he loved the magician and decided that he would be serving him forever. I've read quite a similar theme on fanfiction and I enjoyed the tale greatly, thus I had a high expectation when I found this story.

My problem is, I was dissapointed in the characterization. We didn't have the chance to see Keil's encounter with Nerrin pre his dog life. We just got a slight sentence that explained him to be quite a mean and harsh man before. And while I believe in redemption, I don't quite believe that such mean man that could killed the dog could be a willing submissive just after a year serving the magician as a dog. And Nerrin... well, I know that he's a forgiving man, but I still think his desire toward human Keil was too rushed and too instant to my liking. Yes, he said he loved Keil before the dog transferred back, but I think he said it for the dog (and even Keil believed so) it's different than human Keil, so I didn't quite catch Nerrin characterization also.

All in all, the theme promised a good story, but sadly I didn't find it in this story.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Pet Promise.