Laura Madsen's Reviews > Blood and Chocolate

Blood and Chocolate by Annette Curtis Klause

Aug 24, 2011

did not like it
bookshelves: i-read-banned-books, young-adult, paranormal, did-not-finish

I started to read this book for Banned Books Week. It's on the list of the Top 100 Banned or Challenged Books for 2000-2009 (see the list at http://www.ala.org/ala/issuesadvocacy...).

But.

I didn't get past the first two chapters. Too much info-dumping, stilted internal monologue, and a cliche scene in which the protagonist studies herself in the mirror so the author can describe her appearance:
"She stood in front of her closet mirror in her T-shirt and twisted this way and that. What's wrong with me? she wondered. There was nothing the matter that she could see. She was tall and leggy, like her mother, with full breasts, small waist, and slim hips..."

I suspect that if this novel had not been banned, it would have died a natural death long ago.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blood and Chocolate.

Jessica Interesting. I read this back when it first came out, and really enjoyed it. Yes, the beginning was a bit too "set-uppy," but it took some really surprising and fun twists. I have wondered about rereading it to see if I still enjoyed it. And BTW, the movie was TERRIBLE.

Jessica Oh, I also wanted to ask: why was it banned? Does it say on the list?

Laura Madsen The reasons listed were "sexually explicit" and "unsuited to age group."

Jessica Hmmm. Maybe I really SHOULD reread it! :) I followed your link to the ALA's list. I can't believe some of the things that were banned, like Lois Lowry's Anastasia books! People are nuts!

Laura Madsen Yes, people are nuts! For some of the banned books I can't believe the opposing person(s) ever actually read the book in question.

Jessica My favorite recent banning hullabaloo was when the school board banned ABSOLUTELY TRUE DIARY OF A PART TIME INDIAN ... then one of them read it, and loved it. Then she made the rest of them read it, and they all loved it and unbanned it. WIN!