Anne's Reviews > A Million Suns

1720620
Jan 14, 13

bookshelves: romance, sci-fi, young-adult, read-in-2012
Read from November 26 to December 26, 2012

It's sci-fi for young adults, so don't go into this trilogy expecting something that's going to blow you away. It's not bad, though.
The dual POV's (Amy and Elder) that switch between each chapter weren't my favorite thing, but I think that depends a lot on the preference of the reader. I'm sure some people loved it...I'm just not one of those people.

In the first book, Amy is frozen with her parents and takes off on a ship to colonize a new Earth. She ends up getting unfrozen early, only to find herself trapped on a ship of mono-ethnic people who are basically kept in line by a substance in the water that controls their emotions.
Insert an entire book's worth of drama here
Aaaaaand...
She and Elder remove the substance from the water and free everyone.
Yay!

In this installment, Amy and Elder reap the ramifications of giving those people their freedom. Crime, fear, depression, and general laziness bring the inner workings of the ship to a screaming halt.
On top of that, there several huge revelations about the ship itself that make it a race against time to...do something.
Trying not to give an spoilers here, sorry.

Shades of Earth is out now, and I'm planning on reading it. I'm not sure if I would go out of my way to recommend this one, but I do feel like it's worth finishing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Million Suns.