Katherine's Reviews > Divergent

Divergent by Veronica Roth

Mar 02, 12

bookshelves: dystopian-post-apocalyptic, fantastic, 2012-favourites, science-fiction-science-experiment, 5-star
Read from March 01 to 02, 2012

RATING: 5 Out Of 5

"decades ago our ancestors realised that it is not political idealology, religious belief, race, or nationalism that is to blame for a warring world. Rather, they determined that it was the fault of human personality-of humankind's inclination toward evil, in whatever form that it. They divided into factions that sought to eradicate those qualities they believed responsible for the world's disarray"

Why did it take me so long to decide to read this? Honestly, I should have read this sooner. Roth surprised me with your creative and clever concept; it was very well written and not once was a bored or skimming to get to an interesting part. So the quote I put above can give you an idea about the story. There are five factions: Abnegation who believe in selflessness, Candor who believe in honesty and trust, Erudite believe in knowledge and intelligence, Amity who believe in peace and Dauntless who believe in bravery. When children from every faction reach sixteen they are given the choice of what faction they wish to belong to, as some children believe another faction represents they're beliefs more. They are given a test which will help them determine which faction represents them best, but ultimately it comes down to choice. Enter Beatrice.

Beatrice belongs to the Abnegation, though she ultimately feels that this is not the place for her but she doesn't want to abandon her family. Beatrice at the last second decides Dauntless as she believes it is something she needs to do. The plot follows her decision and if she can live with the choice she has made, was it the right one to choose? While are her new home, Beatrice - now named Tish, and her fellow initiatives are told that they must prove themselves to truly be Dauntless by passing a range of tests which will eventually be marked and those with the lowest scores will be kicked out. Tish must pass all the tests and ultimately prove to her leaders and also to herself that she truly belongs as one of them.

Let me just say that I loved this! Tish was a fantastic protagonist to read about and was never annoying (as lot of female protagonist are these days). She reminded me of a lot of qualities I have and that’s why I loved reading about her (whether or not those qualities are good or not, is another thing). Its funny how I didn’t think the cover of this novel was much but it’s not till your about half way into the novel itself that you fully understand the significance of the picture on the front and what it really represents.

A fantastic read, I only wish I didn’t finish the book so quickly :P It will be interesting to see what will happen in the next one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Divergent.

Quotes Katherine Liked

Veronica Roth
“We believe in ordinary acts of bravery, in the courage that drives one person to stand up for another.”

Veronica Roth
“Becoming fearless isn't the point. That's impossible. It's learning how to control your fear, and how to be free from it.”

Veronica Roth
“For a few minutes we kiss, deep in the chasm, with the roar of water all around us. And we rise, hand in hand, I realize that if we had both chosen differently, we might have ended up doing the same thing, in a safer place, in gray clothes instead of black ones.”

03/02/2012 page 241
03/02/2012 page 312
64.0% "very good so far" 3 comments

Comments (showing 1-4)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

Yousra So I take it that the book is worth buying as a physical copy? I wasn't sure if I should just buy it on my nook or have a physical copy.

Katherine i bought it first and loved it!!! But i always read books from the library first and if they are amazing i then buy them. So its up to you :)

Yousra I ended up buying it and I absolutely do not regret it! I'm currently reading the second book.

Katherine haha yay! Im glad you bought it and really enjoyed it. Oh i just finished reading the second one, you should check out my review of it (http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...) and let me know what you think, im curious to hear your opinion of the second novel.