Selvi's Reviews > The Hundred Dresses

F 50x66
Aug 24, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: chapter-books-for-a-5yo

I vaguely remember being really moved by this when I read it when I was little. So I was a bit surprised by how little the character of Wanda is developed and how little actually happens. I really admire the attempt to tell stories with important moral points, and know it is difficult. This one seems to have stood the test of time, but I would have preferred at least a conversation between Maddie and Wanda, or at very least between Maddie and Peggy about the real issues. Maybe for a certain age it is enough. And I do like how it highlights the process inside Maddie's head. She learns something important, but the author does not give her the chance to apply it in a difficult situation.

BTW, L (now 5) did not pick up on the bullying. Peggy is speaking ironically and maybe we did not give it the right expression when we read it aloud. It is a point in favor of the book that it protrays the subtle forms of cruelty that children can exercise. And I suppose there is a gender aspect to this.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hundred Dresses.