Peter's Reviews > Prince of Thorns

Prince of Thorns by Mark  Lawrence

Sep 09, 2011

Read from August 24 to September 09, 2011

I kept seeing good things and/or controversy about Prince of Thorns everywhere I looked, and everyone loves controversy. I decided to take the arc along with me to Worldcon in Reno, with the intention or reading it by the pool (I am still not comfortable taking an expensive eReader poolside).

Boy, am I glad I did.

Prince of Thorns had me by the balls in the first chapter. I found myself stealing time to read just a page here and a page there, and whenever a rare block of time opened, I commandeered it in the name of PoT. Read the whole book in less than a week. This used to be nothing, I would read two books a week in high school and college, but these days even a standard 300pp paperback can take me weeks to finish. Too much to do. If I’m reading 50+ pages a day, that is a damn good book.

I was immediately pulled into Prince Jorg’s sociopathic little world, fascinated by the flashbacks of his past that hinted at how he became the amoral monster he was. Lawrence’s writing is a wonderful mix of vivid metaphor and tight, economical prose. There are no wasted words, each is beautifully chosen. His world, too, is a wonderful blend of medieval and post-apocalyptic fantasy. Jorg’s interactions with his teachers, foes, mercenary brothers and royal family are fabulously done.

After seeing mixed reviews and controversy, I expected PoT to be a lot more violent and disturbing than it actually was. I guess that shouldn’t surprise me. I think my own books are fairly tame compared to what goes on in the really real world, and yet there are plenty of reviewers who would have you think they are one long rape scene. Fool me once, reviewers, shame on you. Fool me twice…

Don’t get me wrong. Lawrence’s Prince Jorg is one delightfully twisted little bastard. But you may find yourself having a little sympathy as you get to know him.

Blink, and you might even find yourself rooting for him to succeed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Prince of Thorns.

02/10 marked as: read

message 1: by jD (new) - rated it 5 stars

jD Hey Peter -- I LOVE Demon Cycle. I can't wait for the next installment. I agree with you on the mixed reviews for PoT. I am glad I read it for myself. Jorg reminds me of Killar from Way of Shadows and a certain Warded Man.

Kara Great review - I am looking forward to this read! I like your statements about the book similarities in "mixed reviews and controversy" too... and I've got a soon-to-be-read owned copy of The Desert Spear staring at me from across the room atm, so I DO appreciate both your opinion on this, and your writing. ;)

Gregor after that review, this has to go on my list too. thank god for my ereader as I have nowhere near enough shelves for everything I want to read!

message 4: by Gavin (new) - added it

Gavin Gates Cheers for the thoughts on this, like yourself I find it very hard to make time to read around shifts and children so was unsure if I was going to pick this one up. I'll be making sure I do.

message 5: by Nicole (new)

Nicole I like your review. You're always pointing out new books and authors for me to try. I will say though that I can no longer trust most reviews that I read. They are NEVER even close to what I think of the book. The worst is when a book is built up with all kinds of hype, and then when you read it yourself, you can't even make it past chapter 3.

Meike I think it was Brent Week's review that ultimately made me read The Painted Man, and now your review really makes me want to read Prince of Thorns.
Thank you for your review, and I hope I will enjoy this book as much as I did yours. ;)

message 7: by Tyson (new) - added it

Tyson Marking this one as To-Read based on your review.

Akshay Marked as to read, then finished reading, based on your review. Awesome book. Awesome Anti-Hero

Conner Muncaster fuckn loved it

message 10: by J. (new) - rated it 3 stars

J. Rock If you don't have time to read, you don't have time to write -- Stephen King

message 11: by Zau (new)

Zau Jezrel Demon cycle was a good read. My problem is the time period inbetween books. You wait for so long by the time the book is out you need to remind yourself about the characters again