Nenette's Reviews > The Day of the Triffids

The Day of the Triffids by John Wyndham

Aug 24, 2011

it was ok
Read from April 15 to 21, 2012

I'm not so much for long narratives, and this book is one of them.

The story is about the aftermath of meteor showers as a lot have thought them to be. Almost all people went blind except for a few.  Recovery was initiated by small groups, but the triffids, plants who seem to have a mind of their own slowed the process.  The story mentioned 6 years since the tragic circumstances started.  Even after this time, triffids were still abounding, and man was still fighting to eradicate them.  That's where it ended, with a few words to give some glimpse of hope into the future.

For all it's long narratives, I was still left wanting at the end.  The chaos was still there, albeit an organized chaos.  Nothing has changed except that there were now more people (babies conceived and born after the tragedy).  The struggle to fight off the triffids was still there.  I believe the lesson that the author wanted his readers to take is that man will fight to survive, and to go on living, he'll make do with what's available for him.  The lesson can be gleamed from the story alright, it just wasn't much of a reading pleasure for me.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Day of the Triffids.