Midu Hadi's Reviews > Changeless

Changeless by Gail Carriger

Aug 24, 2011

bookshelves: vampires-and-other-bloodsuckers, shifters, romance, fantasy, hauntings-and-ghosts, alternate-history, historical, steampunk, want-physical-copies, series-completed, parasol-protectorate-series, series
Recommended for: paranormal fantasy and steampunk fans
Read from October 26 to 30, 2011 — I own a copy , read count: 1

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Changeless.

Quotes Midu Liked

Gail Carriger
“Madame Lefoux accepted a cup of tea and sat on another little settee, next to the relocated calico cat. The cat clearly believed Madame Lefoux was there to provide chin scratches. Madame Lefoux provided.”
tags: cats

Gail Carriger
“They decided the mummy would be unwrapped, for the titillation of the ladies, just after dinner.”

Gail Carriger
“Ivy waved the wet handkerchief, as much as to say, words cannot possibly articulate my profound distress. Then, because Ivy never settled for meaningful gestures when verbal embellishments could compound the effect, she said, "Words cannot possibly articulate my profound distress.”

Gail Carriger
“Ah, Ivy, thought Alexia happily, spreading a verbal fog wherever she goes.”

Gail Carriger
“As if being a former vampire drone in a werewolf household were not shocking enough, the maid then opened her mouth and proved that she was also, quite reprehensibly, French.”

Gail Carriger
“Alexia, did you know there is an entire regiment decamping on your front lawn?
Laddy Maccon sighed. "Really, Ivy, I would never have noticed.”

Gail Carriger
“Alexia had spent long hours wondering over that mustache. Werewolves did not grow hair, as they did not age. Where had it come from? Had he always had it? For how many centuries had his poor abused upper lip labored under the burden of such vegetation?”

Gail Carriger
“What have I done thins time?" he paused to ask before continuing with his oral expedition about her body: her husband, the intrepid explorer.”

Gail Carriger
“Alexia gave in to his demanding touch, but only, of course, because he sounded so pathetic. It had nothing, whatsoever to do with her own quickening heartbeat.”

Gail Carriger
“He nuzzled in at her neck kissing and licking her softly just below her ear. “Just a moment ” he said. “I need a small reminder that you are here you are whole and you are mine.”

Gail Carriger
“...Tunstell was not what one could describe as call subtle. His flaming red hair bobbed up with each pointed and articulated footstep as though he were some cloaked Gothic villain creeping across a stage.”

Gail Carriger
“Why did you want to go and distract me like that? I was quite in my element and everything.' Conall laughed. 'Someone has to keep you off balance; otherwise you'll end up ruling the empire. Or at least ordering it into wretched submission.”

Gail Carriger
“I like fish," chirruped Tunstell.
"Really, Mr. Tunstell? What is your preferred breed?"
"Well"--Tunstell hesitated--"you know, the um, ones that"--he made a swooping motion with both hands--"uh, swim.”

Gail Carriger
“She boasted the general battle-ax demeanor of an especially strict governess. This was the kind of woman who took her tea black, smoked cigars after midnight, played a mean game of cribbage, and kept a bevy of repulsive little dogs.
Alexia liked her immediately.”

Gail Carriger
“She reached inside the wide ruffle and pulled out a little vial.
“Poison?” asked Lady Maccon, tilting her head to one side.
“Certainly not. Something far more important: perfume. We cannot very well have you fighting crime unscented, now, can we?”
“Oh.” Alexia nodded gravely. After all, Madame Lefoux was French. “Certainly not.”

Gail Carriger
“His lordship can eat my fat—”

Gail Carriger
“A woman, even a married woman, cannot float without proper escort. It is simply not done.”

Gail Carriger
“Such poopitations of the heart as you would not believe.”

Gail Carriger
“Rail is such an undignified way to travel. All that rapid racing about. Floating has so much more gravitas.”

Gail Carriger
“Tunstell, this is your Alpha speaking. Do as I tell you. You must regurgitate now.
Regurgitation is an involuntary action. You cannot simply order me to do it,” replied Tunstell in a small voice.
“I most certainly can. Besides which, you are an actor.”
Tunstell grimaced. “I’ve never had cause to vomit onstage.”

Gail Carriger
“Really, Alexia, what could have possessed you to attach yourself to the side of the ship in such a juvenile fashion? It is positively barnacle-like.”

Gail Carriger
“Oh, Lady Maccon, I am unreservedly in love with her. That black hair, that sweet disposition, those capital hats.”

Gail Carriger
“Alexia,” she hissed to her friend, “there are knees positively everywhere. What do I do?”

Gail Carriger
“Ah, Lady Maccon, how lovely. I did wonder when you would track us down.”
“I was unavoidably delayed by husbands and Ivys,” explained Alexia.
“These things, regrettably, are bound to occur when one is married and befriended.”

Gail Carriger
“What did you do?” “Well, you see, there was this pot of tea, simply sitting there…” He trailed off.
“Useful thing, tea,” commented Lyall thoughtfully.”

“My petal.
Westminster’s toy had tea issues. Thank Biffy and Lyall. Toodle pip.
A.”

“Dearest Alexia,
Oh, please absolve me of this guilt I already feel squishing on my very soul! My troubled heart weeps! Oh dear, Ivy was getting flowery. My bones ache with the sin that I am about to commit. Oh, why must I have bones? I have lost myself to this transplanting love. You could not possibly understand how this feels! Yet try to comprehend, dearest Alexia, I am like a delicate bloom. Marriage without love is all very well for people like you, but I should wilt and wither. I need a man possessed of a poet’s soul! I am simply not so stoic as you. I cannot stand to be apart from him one moment longer! The caboose of my love has derailed, and I must sacrifice all for the man I adore! Please do not judge me harshly! It was all for love!
~ Ivy.”

Gail Carriger
“What’s wrong with you? Are you ill? I forbid you to be ill, wife.”

Gail Carriger
“She moved with such purpose it was as though she walked with exclamation marks.”

Gail Carriger
“Why? I mean, why you? I can perfectly comprehend not liking my husband. I dislike him intensely most of the time.”
Professor Lyall stifled a chuckle. “I am given to understand that he does not approve of spelling one’ s name with two ll’s. He finds it inexcusably Welsh. I suspect he may be quite taken with you, however.”
Gail Carriger, Changeless

10/26/2011 ""Floote had refused to accompany them to Scotland on the grounds that he might be suffocated by an overabundance of bustle." hehehe"
10/27/2011 ""the Gamma, whose name sounded like something slippery to do with bogs." :-)"
10/30/2011 "finished..poor Alexia..how can Conall see what he's doing?"