L_manning's Reviews > The Legacy

The Legacy by Katherine Webb

Aug 31, 11

Read from August 23 to 28, 2011

Erica and Beth Calcott face the unpleasant task of moving into their grandmother's stately manor home. Having spent time there as children, their grandmother's will states they must live there together or sell the home. However, living there reopens old wounds including the mysterious disappearance of their cousin Henry. While sorting through things, Erica soon discovers that their great-grandmother Caroline also had some secrets. Covering the mysterious pasts of both Erica and Caroline, this book tells the story of heartbreak, depression, and betrayal, and their affects across multiple generations.

This book started out so slow. I thought I wasn't going to be able to finish it really. However, I forced myself to stick with it, and I'm glad I did. Once the story picked up, it was awesome. I didn't want to put it down. I think Caroline's story was the most interesting. It took me a while to put together the pieces of that puzzle. It was extremely sad to see that her impulsive decisions twisted her life and her descendants so much. I felt bad for her, but I also was upset with her. I also wondered what would have happened if they had been able to diagnose and treat what I suspect was a case of major depression in Caroline.

I thought Erica was fairly interesting. She was trying to do the best she could to take care of herself and her sister, and I can see how that could be very trying. I did see the major "twist" or surprise for Erica coming a mile away though. I don't know if I'm just a lucky guesser, or if it was just that obvious. Overall, I really enjoyed the book. So if you think it starts off a bit slow, keep giving it a shot. In the end you are treated to a very complex and interesting tale that is worth your time to read.

Galley provided by publisher for review.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Legacy.