Ed Holden's Reviews > Zero History

Zero History by William Gibson

Sep 01, 2011

liked it
Read from August 23 to 31, 2011

This third Blue Ant novel starts the same way the first two did: with punchy, unconventional prose that is very creative, but difficult to immerse oneself into. This is not a great way to start a book, and nor is Gibson's oversupply of descriptive detail, but after a couple chapters I got into the flow and felt that his prose really worked for most of the story. Gibson has a great sense of humor and knows a lot about his settings and subjects. In particular I loved all of the London details, which were spot on.

There was a point in the middle of Zero History where I thought about GoodReads, and about what my rating would be, and I was pretty sure it would be four stars. The middle really is entertaining, and both Hollis and Milgrim are great characters to follow. But as the end drags on, and a mildly exciting conclusion (which was often difficult to follow) happens instead of the really exciting conclusion I'd hoped for, I realized that I merely liked this book.

I'm impressed that Gibson can tackle a subject like "we don't know what mysterious person makes these trendy jeans" and keep me interested for most of a novel. I just wish the openings of his newest novels were more accessible more quickly, and that the conclusions lived up to their promise.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Zero History.