Joshua Coots's Reviews > Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist

M_50x66
Oct 05, 11

bookshelves: english-412
Read in October, 2011

This has got to be one of the worst books I have read in a good long time. It might actually tie with this random vampire nonsense I read earlier this year (and I'm not talking about "Twilight"). Aside from being utterly depressed and utterly bored out of my mind, I was constantly irritated by the ridiculous notions that passed for thought between a couple of seemingly intelligent characters.
Don't get me wrong, I understand heartbreak as well as any person might, and I certainly understand when that pain comes from the same place as betrayal or cruelty. It's a tough place to be and it sucks, and for that much I applaud the authors' ability to take us to that very real place in the dark spaces of our wounded minds. However, that's as far as the praises can go. The characters are inconsistent and lack any sort of rational compass. The edginess of the story is forced, making it obvious that the authors wanted a more than a little bit of focus on the "age appropriate" content. Instead of adding to the story, it sort of takes over and hides some of the potential of the story, its themes, and its complexity.
There is absolutely no way this would end up in a secondary school class. A single parent would need only read the first page and it would be yanked and the teacher foolish enough to assign it fired before the rest of the students even had a chance to pull it out of their backpacks. Though, I cannot imagine why a teacher would pass up literally hundreds of other options to get to this, especially if they were actually trying to help their students learn something constructive.
The other side of this coin, however unfortunate, is that this book does fit into the broad scope of YAL. As diverse as the category is, there is little doubt that it will harbour both good and bad examples. In this case, it does the wider YA community no favours.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Mark Now, see, here's where we're going to just have to agree to disagree. :) I hadn't read this review before class today - ouch.