Grant Murray's Reviews > Derailed

M 50x66
Aug 23, 11

liked it
Read in January, 2004

It's hard to rate this book and explain why it didn't a higher rating without spoiling a few key parts. But I'll try.

Perhaps the writer was making a point about coincidences and unexpected events - that life is unexpected, perhaps? - but whatever the point was it must have been way over my head. For one, the key 'meeting' scene at the beginning was so coincidental that the events that follow are hard to believe. And perhaps that's by design, because while the coming twist is easy to predict, as a reader I was thrown off by the fact that if that twist were to occur - which it did - it would require a whole lot of explanation of to how exactly that could be - which we never got.

The coincidences don't stop there though. It's just one unbelievably coincidental event after another. By the end I just couldn't stomach the story at all because it just went too far out of the realms of possibilities in my mind.

It has all the makings of a great thriller, but completely lost me in the ridiculousness of the story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Derailed.