Marg K.'s Reviews > Royal Street

Royal Street by Suzanne  Johnson

Feb 22, 12

bookshelves: did-not-finish

Did Not Finish

After reading the synopsis and hearing lots of positive buzz around the blogosphere, I was pretty much convinced that I would fall head-over-heels in love with this book. Sadly, despite possessing some creative ideas, Royal Street failed to rock my world, to put the motion in the ocean, to float my boat, to...oh never mind, I think you get the point.

Anyways, what I thought was going to be a fun, exciting adventure turned out to be rather boring and pretty much devoid of emotion. I felt absolutely nothing—no connection, no suspense, no curiosity, no excitement, nada—while reading the 150 pages I managed to get through before finally calling it quits.

The characters and the story just seemed bland, and it certainly didn't help matters that the plot developed & unfolded at a snail's pace. I kept waiting for something to happen and it just didn't. Speaking of the characters, I also thought they were one-dimensional & underdeveloped. DJ had a couple of likable traits, but I mostly found her to be incredibly, annoyingly immature (especially given her age & profession). Alex, her newly assigned partner, was a walking-talking cliche with zero personality. And their verbal sparring, which I'm sure was meant to be amusing and crackling with romantic chemistry, was in reality juvenile and lacking any kind of sexual tension.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Royal Street.