HeatherJay's Reviews > The Renfield Syndrome

The Renfield Syndrome by J.A. Saare

Apr 17, 12

bookshelves: favorites, badass-heroine
Read from January 14 to 15, 2012 — I own a copy

WARNING! This review contains mild spoilers as well as a severe case of potty mouth!

Great.Fucking.Book !!!!

This is one of those books where you wish you had taken a speed-reading course because it is so good that you can't get the words into your head fast enough. When I was finished, I actually gave Ms. Saare a round of applause.

emma and rachel applause Pictures, Images and Photos

It starts off at the end of the previous book where Rhiannon has been duped by a demon and has been transported 101 years into the future. The world has changed dramatically. Over the previous century, vampires officially revealed themselves and a war broke out between humans and vampires resulting in humans either having to hide for their safety or submit to being blood slaves for vampires.
Rhiannon spends most of the book trying to figure out how to get back to her time. In the interim, she finds out that Disco (view spoiler). She ends up inadvertently finding Paine and Goose and explains what has happened. It's revealed that they knew what happened to her and have been waiting for her to return. It is also revealed that Paine has been in love with her since he first touched her but kept quiet at the time out of respect for Disco.
Now, this is where I will deviate from most of the opinions of my dear, dear Good Reads friends. So I apologize ahead of time, Girls, if I piss any of you off! :) Rhiannon, having been traumatized by her recent experiences and feeling vulnerable decides to (view spoiler). This (obviously) results in him being even more in love with her and her feeling ridiculously uncomfortable around him. (Well what the fuck did you think would happen, Rhiannon!). She eventually finds her way back to her time and (view spoiler). Disco eventually discovers what she has done and loses his shit. He proceeds to mind-rape her to find out what happened. Here's a thought, Disco! Do you think you could have put your dick back in your pants for 5 minutes so your girlfriend can explain to you what happened like she has asked 100 GODDAMN TIMES IN THE LAST 5 MINUTES. Instead, you do exactly what she told you never to do because that would be the ultimate violation to her considering her horrific past. Here's another idea! How about after you mind fuck the shit out of her, resulting in her horrified screams, and find out that she really didn't do anything wrong, you don't just look at her with no emotion and leave the fucking room. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

fuck you gif Pictures, Images and Photos

You can say what you want about Paine but what he did pales in comparison to this. (view spoiler)

This is a book full of twists and turns (and Carter, yay!) and I cannot wait until the next one.
17 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Renfield Syndrome.

01/14/2012 page 40
18.87% "I think I'm loving Carter!!"
01/15/2012 page 101
47.64% "Okay, not so sure about Carter!!!!!"
01/15/2012 page 150
70.75% "This is waaayy different than the first book. Soooooo good!"
01/15/2012 page 150
70.75% "At the risk of getting a verbal beat down by all the Disco fans, I find Carter and Paine waaayyyyyy more appealing." 5 comments

message 1: by E (new)

E I want to read this series so bad but I can't get it on my Nook and I can't seem to get off my ass to go to the book store!

HeatherJay Erin wrote: "I want to read this series so bad but I can't get it on my Nook and I can't seem to get off my ass to go to the book store!"

I have a Nook too! If you go to the publishers website ( www.mundaniapress.com) you can download it for $4.99. Make sure you get the epub version.

message 3: by E (new)

E HeatherJay wrote: "Erin wrote: "I want to read this series so bad but I can't get it on my Nook and I can't seem to get off my ass to go to the book store!"

I have a Nook too! If you go to the publishers website ( w..."

Oh shit! Thanks!

Jamie Spreading some Jaime Saare love ♥ I can't wait for TRE, but I sure would like a fourth book, too!

Emmy So what are your thoughts now on Carter, Paine and Disco since you've finished? The Ripple Effect is easy one of my top highly anticipated for the year. Can't wait!

Jamie Besides Stacia Kane's two books and Ann Aguirre's Endgame, The Ripple Effect is my most anticipated book of 2012, although it looks heartbreaking from where I"m standing.

HeatherJay Emmy wrote: "So what are your thoughts now on Carter, Paine and Disco since you've finished? The Ripple Effect is easy one of my top highly anticipated for the year. Can't wait!"

I think Carter is a good man.....with issues. I'm a sucker for an alpha werewolf. I feel so sorry for Paine. He deserves better and after what Disco did to her, knowing her history and how she feels about that kind of thing....I don't know, maybe she should give Paine a chance.
Btw, whens Ripple effect coming out. All it says is 2012, way to vague for me. :(

Jamie HeatherJay wrote: "Emmy wrote: "So what are your thoughts now on Carter, Paine and Disco since you've finished? The Ripple Effect is easy one of my top highly anticipated for the year. Can't wait!"

I think Carter is..."

I won't rehash my feelings about Paine, but I will say that Jaime Saare just posted that TRE will be out this summer, she just doesn't have a firm date.

Emmy Regardless, it's going to hit the fan. But Jamie, I wonder if (view spoiler) Who knows. It will be interesting to see what happens that shocked her so much.

Jamie I just have an uneasy feeling. But I'm sure I'll like it, anyways. I can only hope it's the situation you just thought of, Emmy :)

message 11: by Emmy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Emmy I'll be sad if it's either of them. :(

Jamie Look - I'd be sad, too. But if it has to be one or the other, then you know whom I'd rather it be.

message 13: by Emmy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Emmy Jamie wrote: "Look - I'd be sad, too. But if it has to be one or the other, then you know whom I'd rather it be."

I know. ;) When doing a re-read of Dead, Undead.... last week I fell in love all over again with Disco. He really is unlike any other vampire out there. His youthful appearance but his gentlemanly ways and old school style, how he hates it when she swears, he even quit smoking! Yeah, I love Disco. Just remember, she tried twice now to get rid of him and it hasn't worked. Have hope!

Jamie :)

Hey - who knows? Maybe neither of them well be killed off. There could be a thousand other things. Right? Right!

HeatherJay I'm lost. Why are we assuming that someone dies. Did I miss something? :(

Jamie Saare wrote a blog saying that she hoped some people didn't get upset with her because she had to make difficult character decisions in TRE. It didn't sound good, but it's all just speculation.

HeatherJay Jamie wrote: "Saare wrote a blog saying that she hoped some people didn't get upset with her because she had to make difficult character decisions in TRE. It didn't sound good, but it's all just speculation."

Oh, Lord!....and now we have to wait 6 months to find out?

MISS VAIN I don't have a good feeling AT ALL about TRE.

Jamie MISS VAIN wrote: "I don't have a good feeling AT ALL about TRE."

I got your message - and it was what I expected. Don't know what I'm going to do :(

MISS VAIN I felt anxiety just reading it.,,.:(

Anna (Bobs Her Hair) Terrific review! I love Paine so I hope he doesn't get killed off. I'm going to prepare for the worst and keep an open mind.

HeatherJay Anna wrote: "Terrific review! I love Paine so I hope he doesn't get killed off. I'm going to prepare for the worst and keep an open mind."

Yayyyyy, a fellow Paine lover ( I knew one would turn up eventually).
I have a bad feeling about the next book. I'm trying to keep an open mind as well.

MISS VAIN I think Disco is getting kicked off in the next book...:(

I love especially when you wrote (view spoiler) LOL

MISS VAIN Oh and I "liked" your review even if our opinions differ slightly between Disco and Paine. ;) You know I'm a Disco, but I'm not pissed off so don't worry about that!;) LOL

HeatherJay MISS VAIN wrote: "I think Disco is getting kicked off in the next book...:(

I love especially when you wrote [spoilers removed] LOL"

Really? Disco? Ohhhh, thats gonna piss some bitches off!
God, summer is way to long to wait for the next one.

Anna (Bobs Her Hair) MISS VAIN wrote: I think Disco is getting kicked off in the next book...:(

I love especially when you wrote (view spoiler) LOL

I don't know. Her momma seemed way to happy for Disco to be the one to kick the bucket. I'm thinking Paine loves Rhiannon so much he'll be the sacrafice to save Disco from meeting his fate. Yin to the Yang and all that. :(

*whispers* Although deep down - when it comes to Paine vs. Disco - I hope it's Disco who dies. BUT, maybe it's Goose! Let's go with that for now and feel worry-free. Goose is a major enough character. Right? Right? *chews fingernails*

HeatherJay Anna wrote: "MISS VAIN wrote: I think Disco is getting kicked off in the next book...:(

I love especially when you wrote (view spoiler) LOL

I don't know. Her momma seemed way to happy for Disco to be the one..."

Yep, its gonna be Goose. I can feel it..........right?
Btw, am I the only one who loves Carter? Maybe she can do a spin-off series with him........or a small short story just for me? Whose ass do I need to kiss to make that happen?

message 28: by Emmy (last edited Jan 18, 2012 11:55PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Emmy Great review! I love Paine and I'm glad I'm not alone. But, I love Disco too. I don't want either of them to die. I have great faith in Jamie that whatever happens will be for the best for the story in the long run and that if she kills somebody off, it will be ok. Repeat with me ladies... IT WILL BE OK!

I can't fucking wait for the next one! The anticipation is gonna kill me.

Anna (Bobs Her Hair) Emmy wrote: I love Paine and I'm glad I'm not alone. But, I love Disco too. I don't want either of them to die. I have great faith in Jamie that whatever happens will be for the best for the story in the long run and that if she kills somebody off, it will ok. Repeat with me ladies... IT WILL BE OK!

What's best for the story...It will be okay...Best for the story...It will be okay.

Hmmm...I don't if that'll work for everyone. see Chloe Neill fans. Ahem. LOL ;o)~

Seriously, I'll be fine with whatever is best for the story and is true to the characters.

message 30: by Emmy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Emmy Anna wrote: "Emmy wrote: I love Paine and I'm glad I'm not alone. But, I love Disco too. I don't want either of them to die. I have great faith in Jamie that whatever happens will be for the best for the story ..."

Anna (Bobs Her Hair) Emmy wrote: What about Chloe Neill fans? I've read all the Chicagoland Vampire books. Let's discuss. LOL. ;)

I'm just a Chloe Neill fan making a vague comment related to a reaction to a specific event in a certain book. To say more would be a spoiler to potential CN fans. Work with me here. LOL

MISS VAIN I don't wait either Paine or Disco to die, but my loyalty lies with Disco and not Paine.

I don't for one second believe that Disco would have wanted Paine to be with Rhiannon. What Disco did was wrong, but I can't blame him because seriously, he smelled another on her you know. Lol.

Just because Jamie's momma gave it a thumbs up, I'm not buying it. Jamie (not Saare) and I have discussed this and her momma may have felt that Disco dying works well with the plot. Besides I emailed Jamie about this, and some of her responses lead me to believe I was going to be devastated with the outcome of TRE.

I will be pissed if Disco dies. I like Goose and so I don't want him to die either, I don't like Carter at all, so he could die instead. :)

Deep Drink was so boring btw.

MISS VAIN P.s. you all know how much I love Disco!! ;) lol
If he dies, I'm not sure I can continue with this series...had Neill not fixed her mistake, I would have been finished with CLV as well.:)

message 34: by mrsj (last edited Jan 19, 2012 02:26AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

mrsj Awesome review!

I love Paine!!! I don't know if I can like Disco back but for now.. he will still be in the "naughty list" for Christmas!! :P

P.S: I like Carter too.. pretty sad he had gone a little crazy to my liking.. LOL

Jamie MISS VAIN wrote: "I don't wait either Paine or Disco to die, but my loyalty lies with Disco and not Paine.

"Jamie (not Saare)" LOVE IT! It's my new name. Jaime Saare was very cagey in the response I got from her, too.

I would not have continued with CLV, either, Miss Vain, but you already know that ;-)

I think Disco's dead...the ripple effect and all...but I wouldn't mind a Sydney Carton-esque sacrifice from Paine. That might even redeem him in my eyes. (And yes - I know I say Sydney Carton-esque a lot, but it's the best way to describe a sacrifice for love, don't you think?). I just hope that one of the guys is not instrumental in the other guy's death. That would be horrible,

Ok - I'm going to go obnoxious tween for just a minute....

Rhiannon + Disco = 4Eva

Dead Heads Holla!

MISS VAIN LOL. You're hilarious Jamie, in all that tween business! ;)

message 37: by Emmy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Emmy That would be horrible if they were responsible for the others death and I think it would ruin Rhiannon. I hope Jamie keeps throwing us clues. Not that I can interpret them! :)

Jamie You know me, Miss Vain - I'm always so very mature ;-)

Carla Love it! It's great when we see a review that really tell us what happens. I need to know those things so I can prepare myself for what I'm going to find out. Thanks! ;) Boy! Paine and Rhiannon? Hmmm I don't know... that's bad!

HeatherJay Carla wrote: "Love it! It's great when we see a review that really tell us what happens. I need to know those things so I can prepare myself for what I'm going to find out. Thanks! ;) Boy! Paine and Rhiannon? Hm..."

Thanks, Carla! Yes, prepare yourself, girl. At least you can read it and know that The Ripple Effect is out so you won't have to wait and see what happens. :D

Lexi ♥♥Kitty Noir♥♥ Great review! I too have a potty mouth.

HeatherJay Lexi wrote: "Great review! I too have a potty mouth."

Thanks, Lexi!! Yes, sometimes extreme profanity is necessary!! :D

message 43: by Kimm (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kimm BEST REVIEW EVER! I felt the same way but you really put this together with flair!

HeatherJay Kimm wrote: "BEST REVIEW EVER! I felt the same way but you really put this together with flair!"

Wow, thanks Kimm!!! I believe you and I are in the minority with these opinions about the book but that's Ok. Have you read the next one yet?

message 45: by Kimm (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kimm Just completed it last night! I enjoyed it and man was it dramatic. I withheld one star but don't wanna put why here and spoil it for others. Going to review it thoroughly as soon as I get some time. Did you read it?

HeatherJay Yes, I did read it and loved it. Btw, thx for the friendvite. I look forward to talking books. :D