Tasha enderby's Reviews > The Secret Holocaust Diaries: The Untold Story of Nonna Bannister

The Secret Holocaust Diaries by Nonna Bannister

2052897
Sep 05, 11

bookshelves: 2011, world-war-ii
Read from August 23 to September 05, 2011

This is a very unique book but not because of the topic, the material or the subject but because of the way it was written. This is by no means a story, it's just journal enteries of the life span of a russian women. It's a tale of how past and presant come together and gives you an inside look on how holoucaust suvivors find a way back to the land of the living. I didn't know too much of the role that Russia played in the war and so I got learn a lot new perspective's and that was exciting to me. This book also has clips of historic facts, to follow along with the diary enteries that can some what seem confussing because it's both past and presant. I did find the the time line in the back of the book very helpful and I would recommend reading it first because it gives you event in cronological order and not rambling enteries.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Secret Holocaust Diaries.

09/01/2011
45.0% "This is unlike any diary based book, because of the many translations there are lot's of foot notes added in. You get historic details of the time, current events, and family genelogy."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristina (new)

Kristina I see that you only gave this book 2 stars, but that your review says that you learned a great deal by reading it. I can't say that I really know a lot about the role Russia played in WWII either. Would you recommend this particular title? I just put a new book called Lennigrad in on my to-read list because it also covers Russia's role in 1941 and I would like to learn more about it. I just finished The Lost Wife and enjoyed the love story set in the wartime context.

Tasha enderby I would not waste my time on this book, read the winter garden by Hannah it was much better.

message 3: by Kristina (new)

Kristina I read Winter Garden last year when it first came out and while it did take me a while to get into it, I did end up enjoying it once it all came together. I will keep in mind what you said about this book though and not add it to my never-ending to-read list. Hope you are having a good week, Friend!