Lbaker's Reviews > Home Improvement: Undead Edition

Home Improvement by Charlaine Harris

Aug 26, 11

bookshelves: fantasy, multiple-authors, short-stories, horror
Read in August, 2011

I picked up this book because I love short stories and really like Charlaine Harris, and the funny thing is, her Sookie Stackhouse story which kicks off the book is one of the weakest stories in the group probably a 2 1/2 star out of 5.

The second story, Wizard Home Security by Victor Gischler was a strong 3 star.

Gray by Patricia Briggs was a 4 star story, I will be looking up more of her stories.

Squatters Rights by Rochelle Krich was wonderfully creepy - another 4 star.

Blood on the wall by Heather Graham was a little predictable but enjoyable - 3 1/2 stars.

The Mansion of Imperatives by James Grady was not a style I like much, 2 1/2 stars.

The Strength Inside by Melissa Marr was really interesting, I would happily have read an entire book on these characters and now need to find her novel Graveminder. - 5 out of 5

E E Knight's (eek night) Woolsley's Kitchen Nightmare was light and humourous and very enjoyable - 4 out of 5.

Through this House by Seanan McGuire kind of threw you into the story and you could sink or swim, it was worth paddling. 4 out of 5

The Path by S J Rozan was a little slow - does zen have to mean boring? 2 out of 5

Rick the Brave by Stacia Kane was great and I need to find her Chess series - dystopia with punkrock, drugs, ghosts and witchcraft and a liberal dose of dark humour - 5 out of 5.

Full-Scale Demolition by Suzanne McLeod was interesting, different, I need to find spellcrackers.com novels - 4 out of 5.

It's all in the rendering by Simon R Green was a great concept, very enjoyable. 4 1/2 out of 5

In Brightest Day by Toni L P Kelner - why is it that zombies and humour work so well together? Another 4 1/2 out of 5.

All in all this was a very enjoyable, fast read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Home Improvement.

Sandra The Downside Ghosts Series is amazing, I highly recommend it. Definitely be prepared for a dark UF though.

And both of Briggs' series, Mercy Thompson and Alpha & Omega, are really good Were stories. (FYI: Alpha & Omega starts with a prequel in the anthology On The Prowl, you don't have to read it first but it's a great short that gives the set-up to their relationship).