Tyler Sullivan's Reviews > The Kite Runner

English 2
7 September 2011
Book Review A

Khaled, Hosseini. The Kite Runner. New York: Riverhead Books, 2003

Everyone in the world dreams of a perfect future for their life, and they are always striving to reach their personal goals. Along the way, there are always people, events, or other obstacles that can block the course. But eventually, people will find ways to conquer these obstacles and redeem themselves from previous mistakes. The life of a young boy named Amir winds along this path. Amir’s life story is portrayed in The Kite Runner, a novel written by Khaled Hosseini. Amir encounters, and eventually overcomes, many obstacles on the way to success as a writer and a better life in America.
Amir’s life begins in Kabul, Afghanistan where he lives with his father, Baba, servant Hassan, and Hassan’s father Ali. His life is privileged, but Amir feels like he is a failure to his father. His father disapproves of many of Amir’s choices and their uncertain relationship proves to be a major obstacle he must overcome. I felt that Amir’s constant attempts to impress his father created further tension in his life. After a turn of events forces the family to leave their lavish life and servants behind, Amir feels as if the world is against him, and only rarely does anything provide happiness. “I only knew the memory lived in me… a brushstroke of color on the gray, barren canvas our lives had become” (Hosseini 123). Amir feels very small in a big world as he and his father are pushed around from Afghanistan to Pakistan, and eventually to America.
Finally Amir reaches America and settles in Fremont, California. He marries a beautiful Afghan woman named Soraya, and it seems as if things are finally looking up. A better life is forming, and it feels like Amir has trampled most of the obstacles and success is finally coming his way. But the joyride is short, and many problems, both old and new, begin to show up. Amir and his wife are unable to have a child, Amir’s father Baba dies, and Amir receives a phone call from an old friend in Afghanistan requesting help. He struggles to fight these demons haunting him. While reading the novel, I felt that this was a very low point in his life, one that would require great courage to overcome. But there always is hope, which Amir must find. “Come. There is a way to be good again, Rahim Khan had said on the phone just before hanging up” (Hosseini 192). Hinting that he believes there actually is hope, Amir travels back to his homeland. On a challenging journey of understanding and redemption, he discovers that good is once again possible.
After finishing the book, I began to truly appreciate the struggles and countless difficulties Amir had to face and overcome. I believe he was able to overcome many of the difficulties due to help of friends or the help of unexpected benefactors he encountered along the way. These people allowed everything to be possible, just as in life, where true friends can make all the difference. In this way Amir finds success and happiness in ways he did not know of before. It rings true considering that he was finally able to complete his mission and become a novelist, and I truly respect him for his perseverance throughout the journey.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Kite Runner.