Denise's Reviews > Sophie's Choice

Sophie's Choice by William Styron

F 50x66
Aug 23, 11

I am disappointed by this book. I had great expectations considering the contents of this story and I was upset that William Styron used "Sophie's Choice" as it's climax all the while filling the middle pages with fluff. And I use the word climax lightly.
[image error]

What the hell?!

Sophie's Choice is about a Polish woman, Sophie, who is imprisioned at Auschwitz along with her two children. Upon arrival, she is forced to make a crushing choice that will forever plague her. However, you don't find out about this "choice" until 529 pages later with only 33 pages left. All the while, you learn about her life leading up to Auschwitz and her crazy and bizzare love for Nathan, her lover.

Yes, a heart-wrenching story and one that I had placed off reading for some time due to the nature of the book, but it could have been something more. It SHOULD HAVE been something more. I expected it to be something more...more moving...more emotional. However, by the time our author developed the characters and allowed the reader to associate with each character, I found myself, not only loathing Sophie, but hoping the book would end a certain way so she would finally be placed out of her misery and mine as well.

William Styron filled the pages in between with such adolescent bullshit that I often thought I was reading Playboy forum or something of the sort. An oversexed Polish woman, a drugged-out sadomasochistic Jewish lover, and a wet-dream of a 22 year old virgin friend...now couple that with Auschwitz, NO THANKS!

I just changed my star rating from 3 to 2!
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sophie's Choice.